Can-light opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AaronR103

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Howdy all. I'm starting to look at buying a can-light. I've pretty much fixed on Salvo for brand, but I was wondering if anyone had any opinions (hopefully based on firsthand experience) on NiMH vs Li-Ion batteries, and 21w vs the new 35w HID lights. The brighter light is tempting (I'd love a light that could give my buddy sunburn through his exposure suit) but I am kinda afraid of it being over-driven and thus more prone to failure. Any thoughts from the experts? Thanks.

Aaron

I'd pass on the 35w unless you're trying to use it for video.

My 21w Salvo is about as close to perfection as these things can come. :)

I like the 9amp NiMH battery. There are a number of threads on NiMH vs. LI, but not much definitive. NiMH has a longer track record and is "tried and true". LI is the cool kid on the block, but costs more and needs to be stored in a fridge if you want it to last more than a couple years.

Take a hard look at Hydro Light at www.bubbleseekers.com . I just picked their 25watt SCULA unit, simply an outstanding light. Glove mounted, you can change between 10, 15, or 25 watt output really easily. Awesome light, one of my best purchases ever.

Interesting looking light, but I'll stick with the Delrin cans.

Now, to the original poster...

I have seen the 35w and I have a 21w. The 21 is honestly as bright as I think I'd need unless I start to dive power caves. I mean really.... the 21w lights look like a mack truck coming at you underwater. I borrowed a 10w Salvo some time back and took it in the Ballroom (cavern) at Ginnie Springs at night and it light it up like daylight. The 21w in there is just sick.

I went with the lithium solely for burntime purposes. I don't mind keeping my battery in the fridge. It's in there now. And I don't mind losing 2% capacity per year either. If the battery lasts me 5 years, I'll be more than happy to purchase another one as technology by that point will have surely moved on.

I don't know what kind of diving you're doing, but honestly the 21w is enough for anyone.... really. We were using them in open water, in a spring, around mid-day, and they were easily visible.

I love my Salvo 21w HID. One point of caution, the light is great but there appear to be issues with the chargers. I've had to have mine replaced after only a few months. The real problem is, the charger can fail and still appear that it is charging the light.

Jeff

That is most incovenient. So how do you know if the charger has failed? Put the light in the water and see if it works?

I love my Salvo and the 21W rocks. I have the 4.5 amp NIMH battery, but wish I'd got for the 9amp, because I get tired of switching batteries out, and I can't get two dives out of one battery in cold water.

PerroneFord:
That is most incovenient. So how do you know if the charger has failed? Put the light in the water and see if it works?

Sadly it appears so.
The multi-pack NiMh solutions (9Ah and 13.5 in the case of Halcyon -- probably Salvo too) are where the problem starts (so the 4.5 should be fine)

I think unless you modify the battery, only the first pack is actively charged, so the charger kind of assumes if the first pack is charged, then the whole battery is, which may not be the case (Tobin from deep sea supply is the expert here -- ignore my butchering of the reasoning)

I have a 9Ah NiMh that is now essentially a 4.5 because the second pack will not charge.

I do not think the Li-Ion as configured by Salvo has the same issues.

On the other hand, I am also not sure Li-ion has the track record to see if it has any other issues or not yet.

I have the Salvo dual 24W Li-ion video lights and no issues so far.

Glad you still like your video light. If I can help anyone with a salvo let me know.

Brent

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom