Can someone a good recommend a Spring or Lake in Florida for my 11 year old daughter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rnfoxwell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My daughter got her certification last year and did her open water dives in Key Largo. We are going to go to Turks and Caicos this July for vacation for some more diving. She only has (6) dives logged and would like to get in some dives in a warm lake or spring in Florida this March during her spring break. Since we live in Maryland, I am pretty sure that Florida is going to be warmer in March.

I want her to have as many positive diving experiences as possible before I introduce her to any Maryland/Virginia diving.

Any suggestions would be appreciated?

I really like Vortex Spring. It's a constant 68 degrees year round with no thermo cline. Very clear water, unless someone stirs up the silt on the bottom. Lots to look at, and there's a dive shop right there if you need anything.

www.vortexspring.com

My daughter got her certification last year and did her open water dives in Key Largo. We are going to go to Turks and Caicos this July for vacation for some more diving. She only has (6) dives logged and would like to get in some dives in a warm lake or spring in Florida this March during her spring break. Since we live in Maryland, I am pretty sure that Florida is going to be warmer in March.

I want her to have as many positive diving experiences as possible before I introduce her to any Maryland/Virginia diving.

Any suggestions would be appreciated?

Crystal River area is wonderful. There's several different and excellent springs to do in that area.

Ginnie Springs, Devil's Den, Blue Grotto, King Spring, Manatee Springs, Rainbow River... even Weechi Wachee too with the mermaids, are all right there. "Warm" is a relative term... water temp is pretty much 70 F all year round in the springs.

For a couple things to look at...

YouTube - Weeki Wachee: Mermaid Town
YouTube - Little Merman Promotional Trailer

My vote is also for Vortex. It is probably within two hours of the Tallahassee, Panama City, and Pensacola airports. There are some other springs in central Florida but the depth may be a little more than you are looking for. If your daughter is up for drift diving, you may want to consider the Sante Fe run at Ginnie Springs or Rainbow River.

It really depends on where in FL you're heading for your daughters spring break. In the panhandle, Vortex and Morrison are both very good for what you are looking for. They will be 68F.

Head further into the FL peninsula and the springs will start getting warmer, Ginnie(little north of Gainesville) would be a good place to look into and it has 72F water. I'd say avoid Devils Den and Blue Grotto since they can both get silty very quickly.

Alexander Springs(Ocala) would be perfect, 72F water, clear, and a max depth of 25' or so with a sand bottom and no real overhead potential.

Vortex is a single spring in (relativly speaking) the middle of no where. You'd be better doing as Bugman suggests and headed for the north/east areas of Florida. You can bounce from dive site to dive site for a few days and have a great time.

Here are a couple resources for you to look at:

http://www.lakediver.com/map/florida/florida.html

http://www.dtmag.com/dive-usa/se.html

You also might check into some offshore diving around the Boynton Beach/W. Palm area. These are drift dives, but easy dives. In this area they are not too deep. If the weather is good and the water is going to be calm, that might be a good dive for her. I recommend Underwater Scuba Adventures Underwater Explorers - SCUBA Diving Boynton Beach, Delray, Palm Beach, Reefs and Wrecks Talk with Kevin, who is one of their DM's. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/members/scubakevdm.html You can get in touch with him here on the SB.

I do recommend Manatee Springs, or Alexander Springs. These don't cost too much and they are really easy to dive.
http://www.savethemanatee.org/info_manatee_migration.html
Carolyn:shark2:

Vortex is a single spring in (relativly speaking) the middle of no where. You'd be better doing as Bugman suggests and headed for the north/east areas of Florida. You can bounce from dive site to dive site for a few days and have a great time.

Yeah, but its got a large basin with lots of things to look at in it. Vortex is a great place to spend a few dives as a new diver.

Troy would be another good spring if you headed further East and South though.

Back
Top Bottom