Question Can someone recommend a book to identify fish in the Canary Islands (diving / snorkling)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moobathon

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All - new to the forum - very happy to repost if this is in the wrong place.

I snorkel and dive a lot in the Canaries (mostly Lanzarote and Fuerteventura). Can someone recommend a good fish identification book - ie something with pictures of fish plus names / description of behaviour etc. I have a good one for the Maldives but can't find anything for the Canaries.

Many thanks...

This is about as deep as I get into it :wink:
DD32798E-A703-40A1-806C-7893D95C8465.jpeg

If you have an Iphone try the app fishes;greater caribean do a google search. great app also a version for computer available Shorefishes - Homepage

Just went to the link and there appears to be an android version now available.

Erm thanks - but I'm interested in the Canary Islands. Are you saying they have the same fish as the Carribean?

REEF.org recommends these resources for the Canary Islands:
Europe and Mediterranean Marine Fish Identification Guide, by Patrick Louisy (2015)
Mediterranean and Atlantic Fish Guide: From Spain to Turkey - From Norway to South Africa, by Helmut Debelius (1997)
Unfortunately, both are out of print, so you'll need to look at used-book sites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom