Can steel cylinders be glass beaded?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tumble cylinders with inert glass beads to clean them for oxygen service. There will still always be some flash rust due to drying. Heavy oxidation will require diffent media.
Ditto. I O2 clean my HP120s with glass beads and Simple Green and it takes care of the rust. Yes, after drying there is a minor amount of flash rust, but that is almost inevitable. I haven't been faced with heavy oxidation so I don't have experience with beads under those conditions.

You can greatly reduce the flash rust to about 0 if you blast it with an inert gas such as Nitrogen, or Argon (expensive though, but I have it on hand). If you use air you'll get an even coating of light flash that doesn't seem to get worse. I don't care for it for PP fills and make sure I have no flash for that usage.

Back
Top Bottom