can you help in Sipadan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

t-rocks69

Registered
Reaction score
A tragedy has happened at one of the worlds most beautiful reef systems in southeast Asia. What I am hoping to do here is gather enough support and response that the Malaysian government will have to take notice. What am talking about is the incident at Sipadan island.
http://www.finsonline.com/bolg/fins/?p=39#more-39 . The request I make is for the diving community to send email to the various government agency and also the Prime minister of Malaysia under the title of Sipadan island. Hopefully with enough email’s flooding their inbox’s they will not ignore the problem or do a poor job of restoring the reef and caring for the island.
I will post their email’s at the bottom of the page after I post what I consider the important points on what is happening on the island as well as a little history. Please feel free to research and decide on your own and decide for your self what you consider important. I know everyone has different views and passions when it comes to diving and conservation of our oceans.

Sipadan Island is a small island off of the island of Borneo. Close to the city of Sandakan in the state of Sabah, Malaysia. This little bit of diving heaven was brought to world attention by none other then Jacques Cousteau. He raved about the diversity of marine life this dive mecca has been indisputably the most famous scuba destination in Malaysia. It is listed as one of the top dive site’s in the world by several magazines. To read more on this island go to this web site or just do a search for Sipadan. Http://divetheworldmalaysia.com/sipadan-scuba-diving.htm

Well in 2004 the Malaysian government removed all dive resorts off the island to help protect its reefs and environment from damage. They just left a small troop of military to guard the island from Philippine dynamite fishermen and the terrorist that came in the 90's from the Phillippines.
To kidnap tourist. Which neither has happened since that time. The amount of people on the island was causing waste to run off into the reef system causing damage to all the marine life.
This was the reason to reduce the amount of people on the island.

Now to present day. The government decided that the facilities on the island needed to be improved as waste from the bathrooms were still leaching into the reef system. The old septic system needed to be replaced. They as well approved a restaurant , rest lodge , showers and a dive store. All to be built using heavy machinery and cement. Causing a greater impact on the environment of this island. The equipment was to be brought in using small boats with motors no larger then 50 hp. Am not sure how they thought they would bring in the heavy equipment using such small boats. The contractor agreed to this process. As seen above on the first link the contractor used a large flat bottom barge helped develop a nice underwater parking lot for when submarines are commercial available to the ultra rich. This is not what was intended.. Sorry for the sarcasm this just really upsets me. I know they say it was the size of 2 tennis courts and that this part of the reef system was mainly used for snorkeling and only 1% of the over all system was damaged. It still is damage to a system that takes a long time to forum. Now for the points as I see them. Like I said above you don’t have to agree with me just do your own research on the matter. Please write to the emails I will give you and voice your displeasure about what has happened.

1) why was a barged used to transport supplies. Small boats were agreed upon.
2) what is to be done about the damage to the reef system

3) why is heavy equipment being used as well as so much cement. There are cheaper and more environment friendly alternatives that can be used.
4) why a dive shop. All divers bring their own equipment, rent it or buy it from their dive operators
5) why a resturant. The dive operators supply a lunch.
6) why showers.
7) why a rest lodge.

As for the last 4 points you are only 15 minutes away from your resort by boat I think all the divers can wait to take a shower, eat or rest in their own resorts instead of putting more of a strain on such a small island.

For the 3rd point I find bamboo are some sort of easily replaceable wood more pleasing to the eye as well as making it a more idyllic atmosphere . Also isn’t there some sort of fiberglass or plastic type septic systems that are better then cement. Which I believe they were going to use.

As for the reef system maybe some of you better informed individual will know how to help repair this system. I really don’t have any ideas on how they go about this.

Here are some links to ongoing discussions about this problem:

http://malaysiadivingcommunity.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1354&hl=sipadan

http://malaysiadivingcommunity.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1408&hl=sipadan

http://scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=142345&highlight=sipadan

Here are the emails to the government offices I promised up top. Please write let them know your displeasure even if you never have been to Sipadan or ever plan on going. I know its your country for majority of people on these boards am posting this on. Its still our ocean and our reef system. I believe its up to us as a community of divers to help. A lot of Malaysian believe that their government won’t listen to them but will listen to the international community of divers who bring in the money to their country. Please write and don’t worry English language is a requirement in their school systems. It is widely spoken and read in Malaysia.

Prime Minister’s email (his gatekeeper reads it) ppm@pmo.gov.my

Minster of Natural resources and Environment: azmi.khalid@nre.gov.my

Minister of Culture, Environment and tourism of Sabah: mocet@sabah.gov.my

Back
Top Bottom