Can you purchase second stages only?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jimmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I currently have a pair of CDX5-Omega II's, and 2 more Omega II second stages on a BP first, and I am considering switching them to GT3's to get some adjustability and to be using a current model regulator. I was just curious if it is possible to purchase the GT3 second stages, and if so is there any sort of trade in program for the old Omega's?

Thanks,
Jim

Yes you can buy the second stages. But to my knowledge Oceanic does not have a trade in program.
I still use the Omega II's and love them, and do not intend to stop using them till they stop making parts for them.

Ok thanks, I know I can trade in any second stage to Oceanic for an Alpha 8, but wasn't sure about the GT3. I might look at getting 1 GT3 second stage and trying it out to see how I like it compared to the Omega.

hi
i have been doing just about a ton of research on my regs (too late) to find my dive shop sold me a cdx5 and a gt3 with an alpha 8 octo ... sold to me as environmentally sealed ... (ice ready) ... well, i am kind of happy with the regs (octo loves to freeflow) and am looking to move to doubles. my shop told me they'll sell me another cdx5 for $289 to "save me money" instead of buying a brand new set of regs for the doubles ... so im thinking GREAT! ... but as i searched and researched, i spoke with someone who told me the gt3 is not environmentally sealed and safe for ice ... hmmmmm, and they went on to recommend a mares. so what do i do? i called oceanic. guess what they told me ... 1st. they said if the gt3 is set-up with the cdx5, it is environmentally sealed and ice safe. 2nd, he asked what temperature i was at because the gt3 was only tested to 50degrees when i almost flipped out. i have already dove them to 40. 3rd. the oceanic tech i was on the phone with replied, "...Um i have to agree with the mares recommendation, for safety, the gt3 won't cut it below 50 degrees." so there you go.
ill sell you my oceanic if you want it ... how can any of this even have happened when i have gone out of my way and paid out of the &%$@# to buy from authorized dealers who steered me wrong? want my gt3? make me an offer. it is 6 months old.

Direct from the Oceanic regulator manual. You have the enviro kit. I live in Canada, all the CDX5's I've seen up here had the enviro kit. I have 2 with the enviro kit, one that bailed me out at 135 feet and 38 degree water. Also my buddy for my ice dive used a GT3 last year. The regs can handle cold water just fine. But if you want to unload it real cheap like, just gimme a price.

Jim

"All Oceanic Regulator First Stages are classified as being suitable for use in waters having
Temperatures of 50°F (10 °C) and higher.
Due to operational limits, use in waters having colder Temperatures requires Oceanic Diaphragm
style First Stages to be properly fitted with an Environmental Protection Kit to prevent
the possible buildup of ice crystals in the Spring Cavity."

thanks for the input jim ... i know someone who is selling them new for under $200 ... if that helps ... but now i just found out, through all of this, about the recall on the cdx5s how annoying

hey jim ... ive talked to everyone in the world (used a time machine) and decided from the ones a trust, to stay with cdx5 and gt3. and to tell you the truth, phil ellis has that exact setup for $179 ... how can you beat that? and i bought the din from him as well. best of luck.

ron

Well I'm kinda glad you decided to keep it, I've heard nothing but good things. I think I might call my LDS and check a price on just the GT3 second stage since I have 2 CDX5's already with Omega's on them. Take it easy.

Environmental sealing is done to keep water out of the first stage, not the second, so if you have a CDX5 your reg is sealed. Note that environmental sealing on any reg does not guarantee you will not have a free flow, so please be sure you have proper redundancy (and training) in the event you have a problem.

hi
i have been doing just about a ton of research on my regs (too late) to find my dive shop sold me a cdx5 and a gt3 with an alpha 8 octo ... sold to me as environmentally sealed ... (ice ready) ... well, i am kind of happy with the regs (octo loves to freeflow) and am looking to move to doubles. my shop told me they'll sell me another cdx5 for $289 to "save me money" instead of buying a brand new set of regs for the doubles ... so im thinking GREAT! ... but as i searched and researched, i spoke with someone who told me the gt3 is not environmentally sealed and safe for ice ... hmmmmm, and they went on to recommend a mares. so what do i do? i called oceanic. guess what they told me ... 1st. they said if the gt3 is set-up with the cdx5, it is environmentally sealed and ice safe. 2nd, he asked what temperature i was at because the gt3 was only tested to 50degrees when i almost flipped out. i have already dove them to 40. 3rd. the oceanic tech i was on the phone with replied, "...Um i have to agree with the mares recommendation, for safety, the gt3 won't cut it below 50 degrees." so there you go.
ill sell you my oceanic if you want it ... how can any of this even have happened when i have gone out of my way and paid out of the &%$@# to buy from authorized dealers who steered me wrong? want my gt3? make me an offer. it is 6 months old.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom