Can you really make a living Scuba instructing ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have many expensive hobbies in my life, and many times I have considered turning these hobbie sinto jobs (snow skiing, motorcycle riding - now Scuba) but every time I even think about it, I realise ho wmuch smarter it is to just keep doing what I do, and go skiing/diving etc during my holidays. Amdittedly, I work for myself, and self is a good boss who gives me holiday time any time I feel like it. but self is also a hard boss who will not hesitate to make me work from 7am 'til 1am the next morning to get the job done...

Anyway, I long story short, better to have a "regular" good paying job, keep your hobby a hobby, that way you will always enjoy the hobby, and you wont stress because it is stopping you from enjoying your life...

At the same time, I think it would be a fun way to bum around the world for a few years. Go from dive shop to dive shop in different parts of the world, an dprovided you started off with a good cash supply, the instructing job should help you extend a trip to several years..

Z...

Yes, you can make a great living teaching scuba. In fact this week I am moving into a larger house! i am moving from my dishwasher cardboard box to a refrigerator cardboard box! I even have money to cut a window in the side. Life is good!

If you can buy your class gear keep your over head low and get great rates at your local pool and you can teach a class then yes you can make money. You just have to be smart. If you could not make a dime there would be none. It depends on you.

It's what I do for a living. Just teaching and not selling any retail stuff. Now of course I teach all classes from O/W to Full Cave and inbetween. I am very happy at what I do. I enjoy it. I like meeting the people and working with them so yes it can be done. And for what it is worth My wife does work as a teacher and our combined income is good. My annual income is on par with people having a technical degree.

It is going to pay my way through college. 4-8 hours a week equals enough to pay all of my tuition, housing, and bills.

FZJ80:
It is going to pay my way through college. 4-8 hours a week equals enough to pay all of my tuition, housing, and bills.

You must teach swimming in the army or something. :11: That sounds like a dream job, hehe.

I have many expensive hobbies in my life, and many times I have considered turning these hobbie sinto jobs (snow skiing, motorcycle riding - now Scuba) but every time I even think about it, I realise ho wmuch smarter it is to just keep doing what I do, and go skiing/diving etc during my holidays. Amdittedly, I work for myself, and self is a good boss who gives me holiday time any time I feel like it. but self is also a hard boss who will not hesitate to make me work from 7am 'til 1am the next morning to get the job done...
Yeah, When I really need some time off, I sleep with the boss's wife. That usually does the trick.LOL. Oh yeah, I'm the boss, It still works!
When I was younger and playing paintball, I thought a field would be a great way to support my habit. Long story short, ended up with me not getting time to play for myself. Yes it was cool getting newbies involved in my new addiction, but in the end, I no longer play paintball.
Moral to the story: Get a great paying job that can support your hobbies, and let someone else teach them.
Unless your passion is meeting and teaching people, I would leave the teaching to those with that passion.
I guess I would say it's kinda like anything,( softball,bowling,coaching, and yes, even marriage) Once you have a commitment, it all changes!! Not necessarily for the worse, just changes. The fact that you have to be there, just seems become a pain.
Good luck with what you decide. Whatever it is, I'm sure it is in your path. Even if it doesn't pan out, it was meant too be. GB
Joe

It depends on your business model, and the amount of time and research and WORK you put into it.

I can't remember the guys name, David Something, but he makes over $100 grand a year teaching nothing but Open Water. His business model is to go after weathly and famous people and provide a very individualized service to them.

Obviously this is on the extremem end. Some of it depends on your willingness to travel, as well as your already established location. People in resort areas will find making a living as an instructor much easier than people that live near nothing but a lakes.

As I am NOT an instructor, this is a question I can not easily answer.

To use the LDS I use as an example.

10 - Master instructors
6 - Work full time in the diving industry (4 owners, 1 owner son/service manager, 1 Retail Dept Manager)
3 - Work full time doing something else.
1 - Semi retired from what I can tell (former LDS owner).

9 - Instructors
1 - FT in scuba, FT training coordinator for the LDS.
8 - Work full time doing something else.

6 - AI's
1 - FT in scuba, retail work at the LDS
4 - Work FT doing something else
1 - Retired

NONE of the instructors in this LDS do instruction ONLY, and only 8 out of 25 work in a scuba related field full time.

So if that is any indication, either own a dive shop, manage a department in a DiveShop, retire, or work Full Time doing something else, and instruct because you enjoy it.

FYI, I asked my AOW instructor how long before she was getting FREE trips to VERY cool places (this is a CO LDS after all). She said after about five years of spending at LEAST a weekend a month at the Blue Hole or Crater, she started landing spots on Cool trips.....

So don't instruct because you think you are going to make much $$$, or even get to go on cool trips on the LDS dime.. do it because you enjoy it!! I have to say that EVERY instructor I have taken classes from, or just dived with has a genuine passion for scuba, and sharing that with others.

While you need a relationship with a LDS, as an instructor you should ALWAYS pursue your independence as well. THIS is how you get the good trips and the free gear.

When you certify divers, one of the first things they want to do is go on a trip. But do they want to go alone in the big scary ocean.... No? Who do they trust? You.

It's not difficult to organize trips with your students where you are traveling for free. And if you are bringing in the students to the LDS to purchase gear, you will likely get great benefits from the LDS. However, if you just contract to a LDS, and THEY provide YOU students, you should be happy with whatever they give you.

Price your own model, control your own destiny. Anything is possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom