Can you trust your mechanic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My dad is a mechanic. It is pretty bad, but probably not as bad as the report makes it out to be. You just have to be careful, especially with large franchise non-automaker associated places.

I can't tell you how many times they've tried to sell me a new air filter; once even when I had replaced a new one a week before. Its was brand new! but they still tried to talk me into it.

like Reagan said, trust but verify

:wink:

The problem with techies that you can trust is that they close their business sooner or later..

It doesn't pay off to be a good professional, mechanics? don't make enough money and have to close eventually, LDS? same story (with one exception on this board...) and the list is long..

Which kinda makes me sad, in 5-10 years all good professionals will disappear, leaving us with cons or just bad and expensive places to go to, the only alternative I can see is DIY... I already know of people servicing their own cars, people servicing their own gear (diving), people servicing their own computers, what's next? people learning medicine just so they won't have to send their kids to the butcher?

Oh, btw, if you need a good machanic in S. Florida, PM me. :D

aquaoren:
My mechanic is DIR. :D

LOL

"You can only buy THESE parts by THIS manufacturer. Otherwise your car is a death trap waiting to happen"

;-)

I have an excellent Master Technician that all my vehicles get worked on by. The problem is getting him motivated to work on this one...
View attachment 34855
Then again he has too many hobbies. Sigh...I really need to put in a few hundred hours on my Willys.

Working in the automotive industry I can tell you there are going to be shops dropping out of business like flies after a malathion dusting. Those shops are not the good shops, but the uneducated.

Even I have had trouble with a couple of dealers when my truck was under warranty. They did work that was unnecessary due to the fact that they were slow and got paid to do it under warranty. It had nothing to do with the problem at hand and never even alerted me to what they were doing. Pissed me off bigtime. The list goes on and on, along with about 40 pictures documenting everything they did wrong.

So where does that leave the average consumer? Well there are tons of great shops out there. You have to find them. The best question is probably how often do you go to school? All the top shops I work with take classes all the time. Those that don't fall behind. There are not many shops out there trying to rip you off. It is probably more of they do not know what is wrong so they start changing parts. Even dealerships do that as most are paid flat rate. Usually a dealership has seen the problem before too, but that doesn't mean they won't charge you for diagnostics.

If you think you can work on your own car great! It takes about $15,000 in diagnostic equipment. At the least a Scanner (tm) is needed for checking why the brake lights or tail lights don't work. The auto industry will prevail in the end when people come to realize you have to be highly trained and skilled in ways few can or will ever be. When an auto tech makes at least $100k a year there will be people signing up for the trade. Right now there are guys making that much and more, but not everyone yet. Our local dealerships charge upwards of $160 an hour. Finally the automotive field is becoming respectable, but still not fast enough.
I could go on and on but why???

Tamas:
Can you trust your mechanic? or even large chains?

The original report
http://www.nbc4.tv/video/9152183/detail.html

and the follow up
http://www.nbc4.tv/video/9265802/index.html
CBC's fifth estate did a story on Canadian mechanics. They loosened one battery cable and took it into mechanics just to see what they would do.

I think they went into ~50 places. Only 2 tightened the connection and didn't charge the customer.

It took me yrs to find a good one and now I will never leave.

Back
Top Bottom