Canada sought for Titanic agreement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uwhooligan

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Canada sought for Titanic agreement
WebPosted Jun 19 2004 09:32 AM EDT
http://stjohns.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=nl~titanic~19jun04

St. John's — Canada is being asked to sign an international agreement to protect the wreck of the Titanic.

Britain and the United States have already signed an agreement that designates the sunken luxury liner as an international maritime memorial.

For years, the Titanic has been salvaged for its artifacts and according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association, that's causing a lot of damage to the wreck.

Most of the crews that dive on the wreck are from the U.S., Britain, France or Canada.

British and American divers who want to visit the Titanic will now have to receive permits and agree not to salvage anything from the site but Canada and France have not signed on yet.

And there are other countries, including Russia, that finance a lot of dives on the wreck.

The scientists are hoping that if this agreement is successful other wrecks, including the Bismarck, ultimately will be protected as well.

I'm in complete disagreement with this!

The shipwrecks will be reduced to a pile of rubble in a matter of 100 years. The condition of the Doria is a shining example. What good is it to simply let it disappear for all time, simply so that a few individuals who I have found to be egregiously ill-informed, can sit back and feel good about themselves.

This is a selfish self-righteous act, being forwarded by same players who want all back country hiking stopped because it may disturb the wild life. The problem is that most people, including many divers who do not dive wrecks, are not aware of the fact that the wrecks are being lost to time and the elements, not the divers who visit them. It is divers who return historic items to the surface before they are lost forever who should be encouraged.

Maybe I should post this in the “Whine and Cheese” section as well? It sure raises my blood pressure.

pt40fathoms:
I'm in complete disagreement with this!

The shipwrecks will be reduced to a pile of rubble in a matter of 100 years. The condition of the Doria is a shining example. What good is it to simply let it disappear for all time, simply so that a few individuals who I have found to be egregiously ill-informed, can sit back and feel good about themselves.

This is a selfish self-righteous act, being forwarded by same players who want all back country hiking stopped because it may disturb the wild life. The problem is that most people, including many divers who do not dive wrecks, are not aware of the fact that the wrecks are being lost to time and the elements, not the divers who visit them. It is divers who return historic items to the surface before they are lost forever who should be encouraged.

Maybe I should post this in the “Whine and Cheese” section as well? It sure raises my blood pressure.
I'm with you on this one eventhough it will probably be a reason for flaming

Yeah, just last week I was on her, wondering whether I should bag the china or the lead-glass windows.

So OTE, does that mean we can't drag the bottom with the anchor anymore?

For years, the Titanic has been salvaged for its artifacts and according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association, that's causing a lot of damage to the wreck.

Read that as Robert Ballard, his commentary on NPR a while ago makes me think his ego is taller than the Titanic is deep

Tom R:
I would like to think that a fine shark like Spike would live by the motto "take only pictures and fins and leave only bubbles"
Than I'll have to be careful not to leave my fins unattended :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom