Canadian Diver in Critical Condition - Yongala wreck dive mishap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Erin is doing great... in fact she has been released from the hospital today! Yippi! She will be staying put in Townsville, as she does need to check in with the doctors every couple of days before she gets clearance to fly back to Canada.
I spoke with her for an hour the other evening! I can't believe she is so strong in comparison to 1 week ago... amazing! Her memory of her trip to Aus. is non existent as are some memories prior to going on this trip. Doctors are hopeful that over time it will return.
She is a touch disappointed to find out that all of her belongings out of her locker are missing, however, minimal in comparison to life being granted!

She is a touch disappointed to find out that all of her belongings out of her locker are missing, however, minimal in comparison to life being granted!

Good to hear that she is doing so well.

Where was the locker located?

Erin is doing great... in fact she has been released from the hospital today! Yippi! She will be staying put in Townsville, as she does need to check in with the doctors every couple of days before she gets clearance to fly back to Canada.
I spoke with her for an hour the other evening! I can't believe she is so strong in comparison to 1 week ago... amazing! Her memory of her trip to Aus. is non existent as are some memories prior to going on this trip. Doctors are hopeful that over time it will return.
WOW! Is that ever good news!
Keep us posted. Maybe the Instructor has so insight?

This is tremendous news. Erin and all of her family and friends have been given a gift of life and they deserve to celebreate that gift together. I hope that no more hardships come their way.

It is not so much which agency the diver was trained by. It all boils down to a the student and the instructor.....
It's good to have a good Instructor, to be sure, but in general, not speaking to this accident or dive at all with the following thot: Nah, it's the generally diver. Some Insts are certainly better than others, but it's the diver him/herself so much more than it is the Inst. What the diver does or does not get from class, it really goes to the divers attitude, attention to details, desire to learn more, desire to follow thru, etc means so much more than what quality job the Teacher did.
I'm so very happy to hear that. Keep us advised pleased as we do care - and invite her to come talk to use when she's up to it. We do want to learn from her misfortune if possible, but more so I think most of us would love to express our direct support.

Curious about "all of her belongings out of her locker are missing"...???

Any dive gear lost in the accident and rescue would be covered by DAN's Master or Preferred insurance plans up to $2,500 and I do hope she was so insured. If more than that, Trip Insurance would also pay. Any other items were possibly moved by crew to safe storage, perhaps with athoratives? Or is something amiss?

It's good to have a good Instructor, to be sure, but in general, not speaking to this accident or dive at all with the following thot: Nah, it's the generally diver. Some Insts are certainly better than others, but it's the diver him/herself so much more than it is the Inst. What the diver does or does not get from class, it really goes to the divers attitude, attention to details, desire to learn more, desire to follow thru, etc means so much more than what quality job the Teacher did.

Don I do agree with your comments, but I wonder how many instructors actually drag some students aside and tell me that hey...look we tried this a number of times but you still cannot do the skill, understand the theory (or whatever) but I do not believe that this sport is for you........

I would hazard to guess that in a poll more often that not most instructors would say yes there has been problem students but I have managed to certify them all and not many would say I have refused to give them a certification.

An Open water/basic certification is like a drivers license - unless safe practices and regulations adhered to a license to hurt oneself or some one else. And one has to remember in todays world some one is always tried to be made accountable.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom