Canadian murdered in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How do you figure you can expect "the legit story" here??

Reactions: Doc
what is the diving connection ?

what is the diving connection ?

Roatan is a large diving destination.....:headscratch:......safety concern......I understand why the OP posted it here but would not hold my breath waiting for anything resembling "facts" here. If somebody is claiming to post facts on this then IMO they likely have ulterior motives.

A+B=C.

The connction is that divers, A, go diving in Roatan on a vacation. A foreigner, B, was killed in a robbery while on vacation in Roatan. Therefore, C, foreigners need to be very careful of their personal safety while on vacation in Roatan.

Honduras as a country has the highest reported murder rate in the world: 91.6/100K, compared to Canada @ 1.6, US @ 4.2, Mexico @ 22.7. List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The vast majority of the risk would be on the mainland, but it can spill over to the Bay Islands - and it can happen anywhere. We recently had one in my small farm town - first one in many years, but always possible.

Being prudent about time & place of exposure will lessen risks, of course. The unfortunate victim seemed to choose some that I wouldn't have: a soccer game on the mainland, and in the attack...
with a friend and two local women at a bar in the city of Coxen Hole on the island of Roatan Tuesday night. According to the report, the four left after midnight and walked on a path away from the main road
Coxen Hole bar, after midnight, with local women, on a path - fearless or foolish...?!

Reactions: Doc
"Honduran news site Tiempo.hn says Vallee was with a friend and two local women at a bar in the city of Coxen Hole on the island of Roatan Tuesday night. According to the report, the four left after midnight and walked on a path away from the main road, where they were robbed at gunpoint by two men in a pickup truck."

Coxen Hole is the main town just West of the Airport. Very few visitors to Roatan ever go there, maybe a few during daylight, but not many.

The other items I highlighted above in BOLD should be self explanatory.

Had I found the 2nd article that I posted when I posted the original thread, I wouldn't have made this thread. I lived in West End for 3 months - and once I read Coxen hole with locals, well - asking for trouble. I came here looking for more info because this board has some close connections to the West End/West Bay. I found a lot out about Joe O'Donnell here that I didn't find elsewhere on the web. Thought that might be the case here.

Back
Top Bottom