Cancun May 28 - Jun 4th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JoshP

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I will be staying at the Grand Oasis resort. I have my own setup minus weights, and tank. I was wondering what kind of exposure suit i would need, what dive trip would be the best to go on and what company to go through, do they provide tanks and weights?

When I dive Mexico I wear a 1mil full wetsuit, water temps during that time will be high 70's if not low 80's, some people dive in just swimsuits, but I like the protection a full suit gives. All dive operators will provide tanks and weights as part of the charter service. I would recomend Ben Mooney of Mayan Aqua Dive, I used him last year during my Honeymoon (trip report with Pictures). Ben offers great service you can pay through Pay-Pal, he provides door-to-door transportation from your hotel to the boat, and has a great staff with a nice roomy boat. You can do a search and you'll find tons of positive testimonials from other members.

For what its worth, I will be in CUN 26th>30th and on the advice here am going to use Ben. He has been very responsive to all of our questions via email. Seems like a great guy.

Another for Ben. I've been diving with Ben for five years now, and he is my recommendation for anyone going to Cancun. You arrive as a customer and leave as a friend.

I only dive t-shirt and swim trunks. There has been at least one time a three mil wouldn't have been bad to have(night dive)....Definitely a 3 mil if you are going to do cenotes.

You'll have a great time. Be sure to post a trip report when you get back.

Dive safe!

I dive in a 3mil with a hood, but I tend to get cold on my second dives. You will be drift diving and exerting much less energy and thus producing less body heat. It's easy to let in a little bit of water at your neck seal to cool off if you are to warm.

Have fun,

PH

Awesome, thanks for the insight. Those of you who have dived with Ben in Cancun, is it better to to the 2 tank morning dive (reef dive) or the reef and wreck dive?

just let Ben know what your interested in he'll take care of you, the cenotes are awesome well worth the experience

Ben with MAD is THE way to go. I posted a few days ago about experience with them. my recommendation is to NOT use Manta Divers. There are other reputable operations (Scuba Cancun for example) but Ben's the way to go. He provides transport door-to-door only if you're in the hotel zone. I was not and he did not for me. They are quite professional and offer great service.
I was there a few weeks back and a full 5mm was what was recommended to me and I wore it. It was slightly warm and the water has warmed since then. I don't know your tolerance for cold so it's a difficult thing to answer but I always wear exposure protection and recommend others to do so.
The wreck was awesome but the currents were strong (I was horizontal because of currents during my hang). The reefs are beautiful but if you can get a wreck in, I'd say go for it if you enjoy that. Again, your preferences may dictate other things. Do know you are not supposed to wear gloves in the marine park. Watch for the fire corral (no fun).

Last and most important, have a great time!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom