Canister light routing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sujoe

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

How do you route the canister light in sidemount setup? In Singles/Doubles, you put it at the right hip and route it from right hip to left hand. Do you do the same in Sidemount? I was told, I should route it from left of the butt to my left hand directly.

Thanks!

I have my can right below my butt plate, inside my crotch strap, secured with heavy duty bungee. I route the cord straight up my spine between the harness and the wing itself using the velcro weight pouches on my K2 to secure the wire. It comes out center top near the dump valve and then routes down my left arm.

I think the answer will depend on the BCD you're using.

In my case, I dive SM in a Hollis 100D with extensive Edd mods, so my setup is unlike most people's. I put my can light in a bungee harness on the wing's backside and run the cord up the back, through the shoulder epaulet, and down my arm.

I mount the can on the waist belt beside the spine pouch then run the cable up and between the shoulder straps, Xdeep Tech.
Can be difficult to switch on but I manage.

Hi Guys,

How do you route the canister light in sidemount setup? In Singles/Doubles, you put it at the right hip and route it from right hip to left hand. Do you do the same in Sidemount? I was told, I should route it from left of the butt to my left hand directly.

Thanks!
Battery lives on my butt.

Hello,

My canister light is mounted to the crotch strap (xdeep). The cable, made to measure, runs up along the spine over the left shoulder. On/Dimm/Off switch is on the light (Gralmarine).

Best wishes Jens

If I'm not using suit heating I'll buttmount it and run the cable(1.5m with 90degree elbow) up the left side of the spine (XDeep Stealth Tec) and over the shoulder + down the arm.

If I am using heating I've taken to mounting it between my drop D ring and the hip D-ring that I attach my RH tank to.
This lets the E/O cord connect to my thermovalve without issue/strain, I can manipulate the switch easily (Ammonite thermo battery) and then route a standard length umbilical underneath my wing bungee/inflator hose(s). I saw Anton Zhuchkov mount his inflation bottles + Cans this way and thought I'd give it a whirl.

Ideally, I'd extend the E/O cord on my thermovalve or buy a separate extension cord but it's working well at the moment.

If I'm not using suit heating I'll buttmount it and run the cable(1.5m with 90degree elbow) up the left side of the spine (XDeep Stealth Tec) and over the shoulder + down the arm.

If I am using heating I've taken to mounting it between my drop D ring and the hip D-ring that I attach my RH tank to.
This lets the E/O cord connect to my thermovalve without issue/strain, I can manipulate the switch easily (Ammonite thermo battery) and then route a standard length umbilical underneath my wing bungee/inflator hose(s). I saw Anton Zhuchkov mount his inflation bottles + Cans this way and thought I'd give it a whirl.

Ideally, I'd extend the E/O cord on my thermovalve or buy a separate extension cord but it's working well at the moment.

Are you mounting anything on the drop-Ds? I'm wondering if the can will get in the way although I guess I could run the tank leash under it.

Are you mounting anything on the drop-Ds? I'm wondering if the can will get in the way although I guess I could run the tank leash under it.

I only really use the drop-Ds for my pouch and the occasional reel/camera/video light mod as and when.

I think I'm going to adjust it so it sits a little further up my back, the switch sits just under + behind where the wing bungee starts so that's easy enough to locate + operate.

On the webbing loop there's a little bit of give so I can shift it further around a smidge when clipping a bottle and it's pretty unobstructive.

1706711832545.png

Hi Guys,

Thanks!
I do ask you to think.
If you do wear a drysuit, then the exhaust valve controlling you buoyancy is on your left hand. This means your depth gauge (which you constantly need to see) must be on your right arm. Hence, the light must be on the left.

Back
Top Bottom