Cannot equalize left ear AFTER resurfacing; 12 hours later, still no dice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know what you have, but it isn't a reverse block. A reverse block is where you cannot ascend without significant pain, because the air cannot get out of your ears. What you are describing is much more likely to be cumulative barotrauma from equalizing just a bit too late, multiple times. The tissues in the middle ear become swollen and exude edema fluid into the air chamber, and as a result, you cannot transduce the signal from the vibrating ear drum properly.

You should NOT dive with this. It's an indication of aggravated and injured tissue in the middle ear, and the damage will only get worse -- it is also a setup for a reverse block, which if you have one, you will know it!

It is REMOTELY possible that you have water in your external auditory canal, perhaps trapped behind a wax buildup, but it is far more likely that this is cumulative barotrauma.

is it sore or is it just "blocked up"?sometimes I get one ear that just feels full of water and things sound wrong.I put a cotten bud gently into the ear and most of the time the cotton bud tip comes out soaked in water. I figure its a drop that just wont run out on its own.

There's a bunch of things that this ear problem could be. Reverse block (presenting on the surface) is the least of them. A call to DAN should provide a better indication - much better than a self-diagnosis.

The most common ear 'blockage' sensation stems from over-equalization on the dive. It's very common in novice divers. Equalizing too hard pushes fluids into the middle ear. Symptoms include the ear feeling 'full' after diving, a sensation of pressure, dull hearing and the feeling of 'water in the ear'. It should normally resolve itself - a 'pop' sometime after the dive (normally inside 24 hours).

Nonetheless, call DAN to confirm.

DevonDiver, I will respectfully differ -- equalizing too hard does not drive fluid into the middle ear. The need to equalize hard is a sign of either waiting much too long to do so, or a Eustachian tube that is not cooperating. The end result is that vacuum occurs in the middle ear and draws the edema fluid out of the tissues.

TSandM, is the middle ear tissue likely to heal up given time, or is that a permanent damage sort of thing? I don't have this problem personally, but I've late equalised a couple of times (usually on training dives when thinking about other things) and am curious about how much damage it could do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It sounds like you have a serous otitis, a collection of his behind the ear drum causing some inflammation. It usually goes away in a few days, but tends to recur with diving in many people. I don't know if it is wise to dive again before it is cleared, but as for diving even after that, see an otolaryngologist who is familiar with diving and barotrauma. A common treatment would be steroidal decongestants. These take several days or weeks to balance out. Also discuss using OTC decongestants in the meantime.

If it is a simple serous otitis, then decongesting would be good. But there is so much controversy about decongestants and diving that a call to DAN is worthwhile.

Please pardon any typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds like you might be experiencing something I have had on several occasions, namely a "wax" (wax, diry, dead skin cells, etc) buildup in the ear canal that retains moisture. I dive and swim quite frequently and this problem seems to happen at least every couple of years. I've learned to wear earplugs for swimming laps and using the shower so that my ears don't get wet quite so often.

DO NOT try to dry it or remove it by putting a Q-tip, cotton swab or anything else into your ear canal!!
The skin is already irritated and possiby somewhat in poor condition and you are extremely likely to cause more irritation, maybe even break the skin. You don\t want to do anything that makes an infection more likely, or worse. An infection could keep you out of the water for several weeks.
Do see a nurse, nurse practitioner, doctor. They can help you make this go away as well and as soon as possible.

Go and see a doctor. Those last few dives aren't worth hearing or ear problems. You can always reschedule and finish your class. Any ear issues and I scrub the dive (and I have scrubbed a few). It just isn't worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom