Cano Island / Drake Bay, Costa Rica diving trip report May 10-16, 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tjack

Contributor
Reaction score
Taos, New Mexico and Georgian Bay, Ontario
# of dives
500 - 999
Cano Island / Drake Bay, Costa Rica diving trip report May 10-16, 2009

Just back from diving Cano Island, out of Drake Bay, Pacific coast, Costa Rica. HereÃÔ some impressions.

Getting there was easy. Nature Air flys direct from San Jose, via Pavas Airport twice daily. They have Twin Otter double prop planes with a 40lb weight limit on luggage. Sansa also flys to Drake Bay, but on my departure the Sansa flight was way late, they fly from the international airport so that might be a factor. Also, you can fly to Palmar Sur, then take a taxi and a boat to Drake. The Nature Air flight from San Jose runs about $90 each way. They have an excellent web site.

For lodgings and dive op we went with Jinetes de Osa: the one midrange hotel at Drake. US $55 a night per person for double occupancy room and 3 meals. Coffee is left outside the room each morning. The food was ok to quite good, overall adequate. No AC and variable hot water.

El Drake is remote. There are small crabs and insects in the rooms at times, lots of biomass. Very courteous and upbeat management while we were there.

My only real complaint about Jinetes de Osa is that they charged us a $30 commission to book our flights. Also, due to weight constrictions on the flights you will probably need to rent some gear and that costs $20 a day, regardless of how much you need. Set in a beautiful location just off the beach, with lots of hammocks to lounge in I would probably stay there again.

There are $15-$30 cabins in town and a couple of restaurant-bars as an alternative. Cabinas Manolo were helpfull via e-mail. I saw dive boats from PirateÃÔ Cove out at Cano as well. Word was that White Tip divers boat had been stolen so they were not diving at the time.

Jinetes aka Costa Rica Adventure Diving runs daily dive trips out to Cano Island, $105 for two tanks. There is no local inshore diving and, thus, no shore or night dives. The main dive boat is a big skiff or ponga with a 300HP outboard. The run takes about 45 minutes. Expect dolphins most days from the boat.

First dive then a long interval on Cano Island is typical with lunch provided. All dives are limited to 60 feet deep and 40 minutes due to park regulations I was told. Visibility ranged from 20-60 feet, with a visible thermocline at about 50 feet. Water temps were a balmy 82 above the thermocline and 72 below. I had brought extra thermal protection but was fine with 3mm full suit and a beanie due to the fact that you wonÃÕ spend much time below the thermocline and 82 degree water will warm you up real quick. Most dives had surge, sometimes strong, and current can be a factor especially at outlaying sites.

The diving was quite good IMHO, but this is subjective. White Tip Sharks were seen on every dive. 100s of barracuda in a school on one dive, something interesting on each dive from seashores to frog fish, nudibranchs, schooling jellyfish being eaten by other fish. I even found a Tent Olive shell which I left, a unique shell which is endemic to the Panamic region. The Real highlight for diving at Cano island is Bajo del Diablo an offshore pinnacle. Here you will find the best visibility and tons of life.

The Bajo del Diablo is a series of rocks rising from depth to within 20 feet of the surface, the dive begins with a decent through a large school of Bigeye Trevally to the rock formations which form vertical walls with canyons between. These walls are completely covered in Sea Fans, Barnacles and Hydroids. Large schools of Snapper swirl around the rocks and keep you company as you loll in the surge. According to local lore anything can turn up out here and stories of hearing Whales are common.

Another great dive site was Los Arcos where the visibility was lesser but again the volcanic rock formations provide dramatic relief. This is what I would consider advanced diving due to the surge and current. Beginner divers were kept closer to the island, sites like The Shipwreck (no wreck) and The Anchor where conditions are less severe.

My final impression is that Drake Bay might not be the place for a dedicated dive trip, some of my fellow divers were underwhelmed if not disappointed. Personally I dug it and would dive Costa Rica again, I will post some photos from this trip on my Scubaboard photo gallery to give an idea what it looks like underwater. Diving in combination with topside activities in this natural wonderland is a blast. Hope this provides some useful information.

Photos here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/4021

Hey T,

Nice trip report! The diving looks good to me. I can see how some may not enjoy the lower vis, but it just takes some getting used to. The frogfish is awesome. It took me a moment to see it even if it occupied the entire frame! :D

Glad you had a great time. I'd like to see some topside stuff as well. I'll give you a call.

So no swine flu for you! :shocked2:

TJack,
great and unbiased trip report. Congrats!

The best time to dive the Pacific side of Costa Rica is January to March/April.
The are the months with the best visibility.

Anyway, in my more than 20 dives at Cano Island i dove also in July,
and found visibility still pretty good (like the one you encountered), while in other places here in CR viz was pretty "bad".

Check my album to see how Cano Island looks in February...
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/3747

Best regards

Chris Karrer

I am planning to head to CR Dec 28 - Jan 3. Thoughts on vis then? Does anyone have thoughts on Cano vs the Bat and Cat islands?

ScubaSloan,

diving start to be nice again in December, but if you can shift your vacancy between February and April diving will be better.

Cano Island is without any doubt the best location to dive in Costa Rica,
naturally excluding Isla del Coco from the list.

I was 4 times at Bat Island and it never was worth the extra money and i never saw bull sharks.
I was once on Catalina Island and it was a complete waste of time and money.
Maybe i was there the wrong days, like everywhere can happen, but for my self speaking,
i won't go back there for diving.
I made more than 20 Dives at Cano Island in different months and years and it was always the best dives i made here in Costa Rica.

Even better than here in Herradura... :-( (sadly!)
Mmm, ok, except sometimes, for example, when the Mantas are here for months and we see them daily.

Best regards

Chris

Last edited:
Chris is right for the most part, but we have been having fairly consistent good to great days in the sites off of Manuel Antonio park as of late. Yesterday was flat calm and 45-60 ft of viz off Geo's Ridge and Isla Larga Norte. The rains have been either absent or confined to the afternoons, so morning dives as a sure bet have been the order of the day. The deep sites at Viente Seis and Furuno have been, well, .......awesome!

Most of our clients have been able to take advantage of cheap airfare, off-season hotel rates, lack of crowds and loose tour schedules to make the most of their precious vacation time and $$. Rain has not been a big factor thus far on dive conditions in our neck of the woods. A few storms has been good for white water rafting, canyoning and waterfall rappelling and made the rain forest come to life. The mud is just about perfect for the back country ATV tours.

Folks, there is still plenty of "season" left to enjoy here, and no excuse to be bored.

Come on down.

PVD

Hey Sloan, from what I can tell, Cano has the best conditions as far as visibility and temperatures, possibly the most coral and color as well. The north particularly Isla Catalina is better for Mantas and big schools of other Rays but conditions can be poor ie cold and murkey. Next trip I would probably go to Playa del Coco and dive the Bats and Catalina.

Shure Pura Vida Diver,
conditions here where we are are still great.
The full day trips to Isla Tortuga are super beautiful because we can enjoy
our lunch on this marvellous beach almost alone.
The nearly Carrara Nationalpark is exploding from life,
the crocodiles on the Rio Tarcoles are awaiting animals struggeling against the current from the swollen river and
doing a canopy in the middle of the now green and growing canopies is exciting.

But to be honest, Isla del Cano would be still (a bit) better and it's ways better than Bat and Catalina Islands.
From my point of view.
And this was the question asked by ScubaSloan.

Best regards

Chris Karrer

Scuba Sloan, For the time of year that you are planning the Bat Islands are not good. Best time of year is June, July, August. The Catalina islands are great as are the local diving around the Playa Del Coco area. Not all diving in the north needs to be to teh Catalinas. In some local dives there I saw plenty of eagle rays and a couple of sharks. Cano is undoubtedly the best for sharks with regards to numbers with a few sting rays, but on my numerous trips there I have only seen eagle rays a couple of times and some devil rays. Again in the south the local diving around the central pacific can be great at that time of year with nice blue waters, sharks and rays aswell. I would suggest either basing yourself in PLaya del coco or Manual Antonio area and doing local trips mixed in with some offshore sites to get a real mix of sites and enjoy everything else Costa Rica has to offer.

Back
Top Bottom