Canon Canon A720IS Photos from Sipadan Island (Part 1)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom,

Thanks. Hope you enjoy your new toy as much as I have. I just wish I could get over my "aversion to cold" and get up the guts to start diving here in San Diego so I could use my camera more often :)

Flash question. I actually have an A710IS and have problems taking macro shots and the flash. The camera lense actually blocks the lower right portion of the flash and makes a dark shadow on the picture. Did you ever run into this with your 720?

Flash question. I actually have an A710IS and have problems taking macro shots and the flash. The camera lense actually blocks the lower right portion of the flash and makes a dark shadow on the picture. Did you ever run into this with your 720?

Ruminari,

Yep, I have the same problem on really close shots because the shape of the camera barrel obstructs the strobe's light. When that happens I usually back up a bit and added a touch of zoom to get a similar perspective although you have to be careful because only a portion of the zoom's range is available when in Macro mode. I think an off-camera strobe is the only 100% solution but in my case that will have to wait for a bit.

Darn, I was hoping maybe they fixed this problem in the 720. I had an old A70 that was absolutely great for macro and then I bought the 710 and have had problems. I've done pretty much exactly as you buy zooming in and trying to get the shot, but like you said it just limits your zoom range.

hey rick, enjoying your photos (here and your part 2 thread) and thanks so much for what you've learned about your camera in UW - especially since I have the 710IS.

@ Ruminari: I use the ikelite housing and as jaybomb says, the diffuser will fix that problem. A strobe will also fix it. hehe. :wink:

jaybombs25,

I found the defuser works up to a point but there comes a time when you get too close to a subject and physics takes over where the camera barrel obstructs too much of the flash and you end up with an off-balance picture.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom