Canon G11 Underwater Housing???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djmccarthy

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am considering the ikelite u/w housing and the Recsea for my G11. Cost would be a no brainer for the Ikelite but I have the oportunity to get the Recsea for $800 vs. $650 for the ikelite.

Also, a friend purchased the Iklite housing with DS51 Stobe and was not happy with it and ended up upgrading to the DS160.

I am considering the Sea & Sea YS-01 to be paired with the Recsea.

Any comments or suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Either the Inon and Sea & Sea strobes should be fine, I like Inon but only because that is what I have used the most lately since leaving my old Oceanics behind along with my Kodachrome.

N

Either the Inon and Sea & Sea strobes should be fine, I like Inon but only because that is what I have used the most lately since leaving my old Oceanics behind along with my Kodachrome.

N
Thanks which housing do yo like better?

DJM

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: // ww

With either housing you can get a very unique lens, the Dyron circular fisheye lens - the only lens offering a 180 through 60 degree angle of view as you zoom.

You can wet mount a wide-angle lens with the Recsea housing if you use the Dyron short port for this housing, and dry mount a recsea 12mm fisheye lens for a 165 degree of view.

The Ys-01 will give you TTL in P,Av and Tv modes that works well, and the controls are easy to operate underwater with gloves on.

For serious fast-action wide angle, the ikelite G11 with electrical sync cords, dS-125 or ds-160 strobes and a circular fisheye zoom would be a great combo for shooting fast-moving action - you could fire off several shots in a row.

Scott

Just for you, the OP asked and deserves an answer. The FIX sold by various well known photo stores or the Recsea sold by Bluewater would be excellent. The Ikelite is a very durable housing from a company that gives great service after the sale but unfortunately who also insists on using generic plastic shoe box sized housings for tiny little cameras thus ruining their greatest single advantage, small size. If this upsets people, well, to bad, it does not make it any different. :popcorn:

N

Sure you don't want to consider keeping the G11 topside and getting an s95 with the FIX or Recsea housing? This provides more wide angle opportunities than the g11 if that is in your photographic repertoire. I might have gone this way looking back - I have both g11 and s90. The g11 is better for macro topside but I think the advantage is lost underwater with wet lenses on a housing.

And if the OP is finding only a $150. difference between housings then Nemrod's argument for the RecSea holds even more water (even though the RecSea displaces much less water...:eyebrow: ). // ww

Thanks everyone! Much appreciated!! I ended up going with the Recsea, size was definitely a factor, as well as it seems to have greater flexiblity and true wide angle lense as opposed to the Ikelite (so I'm told). As far as the S90, I had already purchased the G11 based on a lot of positive recommendations before I new of the S90. Topside is my wife's specialty and she does it with a nice DSLR. I'm a newbee in photograghy. The G11 replaces my Sony which I flooded on the backside of Molokini Crater on my last day of diving on the vacation last year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom