Canon G16 w/ WP-DC52 housing + Dual SeaLife SL961 Strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheChase

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay - so I am not a n00b to photography, or diving, but I definitely dont do them together much.

My question is what experience do you all have in what I should not do.

I have been shooting manual and priority modes for the past 4 years so I have mastered what I want on land, but I understand there is some difference under water - especially since there is a need for flash, slower shutters and a variety of F settings.

My rig is geared to the AFFORDABLE but DECENT quality. I could have gone with the SeaLife DC 1400, but the sensor size was too small - not a fan of the CCD - and its features are comparable to a basic $75 canon camera. Instead, I went with the G16, just a step below the beloved G7x (but that was 2x the money). The G16 offers a decent sensor size, with great control, macro, and all the features we have come to love about the higher end Powershot line.

My question is: does anyone have any experience putting together a rig like this? Canon G16 w/ WP-DC52 housing + Dual SeaLife SL961 Strobes

I didnt go with the Sea & Sea strobes because they were about 3x-4x more in prices and a little harder to find a gread deal on, but the trade off is shorter arms and a little less power. I would say that I am happy that the dual SeaLife strobes double as a nice tray also. But, I am a little concerned about the SeaLife strobes as they call for NO SILICONE GREASE. Wouldnt this be an issue also? I know the Canon Housing requires grease, but why not the strobes?

Total cost: $150 for both SeaLife Strobes on ebay + $350 for the G16 and DC-52 housing on ebay = $500 total rig set up plus the cost of buying a few extra batteries for the camera and strobes.

Last edited:
If you want experience with exactly that rig, then no. I dive a G16 with the Ikelite TTL housing and a single DS51 strobe on one arm with a Sola 1200 on the other (video light & focus). I love the camera and the setup.

Bluntly, get more dives under your belt. People get their head into photography and run out of gas. It's too early to distract yourself.

Many people learn that they lose the fun and the memories of the dive, as it becomes "moving from picture to picture, trying to get the perfect shot."

Practice your buoyancy. Don't be an "in the sand" diver just because you want a better picture.

Photography makes you a really lousy buddy.

Take a picture of a card with your name, address, and phone number on it. Put it in the root of your camera card and name it owner.jpg.

The G16 is marvelous for macros.

Gave up on Sealife strobes, too many misfires. I use a used Canon G-11 with a single Sealife SeaDragon 200 LUM LED. Have had very good luck with this rig. Also using the ebay cheapo housing.... My results.....
IMG_2412.JPG
IMG_2412.JPG
IMG_2427.JPG
IMG_2429 (2).JPG
IMG_2436 (2).JPG
IMG_2441.JPG
IMG_2444.JPG
IMG_2466.JPG
IMG_2466.JPG
IMG_2451.JPG
IMG_2464.JPG
IMG_2473 (2).JPG

Excuse me....... 2000 LUM

Just got back from 2 weeks in the Caymans - we were on the Cayman Aggressor for the second week - great diving, great sites and the camera did awesome.

My afterthoughts - the G16 is awesome for Macro, and the zoom on it is just enough to get tight pictures and if you have or need a little distance between your subject and you. The flat port sucks - its fine for the Macro or some distance shots, but for that awesome wide wreck shot, or a picture of your buddy near a large object, you need a wide corrective dome lens.

As fas as the strobes - no flooding or battery issues, they actually held up through 3+ dives a day. The diffusers helped also to not get any hot spots or backscatter. Regarding misfiring of the SeaLife strobes.... ehh... they werent cooperative in Aperture Priority or Manual mode for some reason. I tried 0,1 and 2 preflashes, but I couldnt get the images to sync. Oddly enough, there were no issues in Program and Shutter Priority modes. Does anyone know why this is an issue?

Here are some shots from the trip!

Attachments

• IMG_8901.jpg
    IMG_8901.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_8909.jpg
    IMG_8909.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_9086.jpg
    IMG_9086.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_9088.jpg