Canon G1X

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Canon is not new to APS-C sized CMOS sensors -- it's been using CMOS sensors in its DSLRs since the very beginning. So unless someone in the software department screws up BIG time, we can probably expect the G1X to deliver results very close to today's Canon APS-C DSLRs.

Those who've been following Canon probably know who Chuck Westfall is.

From the Live CES Q&A that just ended (http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/G1X/G1XA.HTM#live-qa):

by Dave Etchells 6:37 PM
Hi Chuck, can you talk about the low-light capabilities of the G1X sensor? For example, how is the noise at 5600 ISO compared to the 5D2? Thanks

(Chuck W) - Closest comparison is to cameras like the 7D and 60D, because it uses the same pixel pitch. The G1X is actually lower noise than the 7D, because it's the latest generation of the DIGIC, the DIGIC 5. Can't speak to RAW because I haven't seen it, but the JPEGs and videos are definitely cleaner at any given ISO than the 7D's. I can speak to that personally because I tested it myself.

:shocked:

Remember Canon has already announced the WP-DC44 housing for it.

Assuming it's $200-$300 (like all of Canon's underwater housings before it), this means getting DSLR-like image quality (better than most micro 4/3 systems) for around $1000....

:drooling: :banana:

Assuming the housing doesn't cost much more than the rest of their point and shoots, this'll be revolutionary in it's ability to deliver underwater sensor area per dollar.

Mmm... this might look a lot better on my bank balance than upgrading my S90 to Nikon D7000.
I think I'll wait and see for a few months...

Hopefully the beginning of more sensors this size in P&S cameras. If they can pair this with top end glass and a 67mm port...I'm in. Why is it that Canon uses rectangular ports?

The large sensor on this camera makes it interesting for UW use. However the minimum focusing distance on a fixed lens camera like the G1X is critical to the success underwater. This where the M43 will perform much better with dedicated macro lens. Also 28mm and a flat port is not very useful UW.
However a 3rd party quality case with some macro and wide angle add-ons may work out a reasonable compromise. If this happens it may be one of the first cameras to allow quality photos UW for both wide angle and for macro by switching some add-on lenses UW.
Need to see what happens next ... :)

Also 28mm and a flat port is not very useful UW.

But if you are going to add a wet lens, 28mm (or 35mm) give you more choices than 24mm.

However a 3rd party quality case with some macro and wide angle add-ons may work out a reasonable compromise. If this happens it may be one of the first cameras to allow quality photos UW for both wide angle and for macro by switching some add-on lenses UW.

Exactly. I'd love to see what the G1x can do with the Inon UWL-H100 (plus the dome port).

The large sensor size may actually hurt its potential for macro use, since DOF will be paper-thin. (I love my EF 100/2.8L IS which can do 1:1 macro, but trying to get deep-DOF macro shots while handholding it is impossible.)

Anyway, the G1x will likely give much better image quality than a S95, which is already well loved by so many.

Not to mention, the wet lens switchability (not a real word, I know, but you get what I mean) will ease that fear of "what if a whale shark were to swim by when I'm down there with a macro lens on my DSLR"....

:rofl3:

not sure if I like the chances of someone being able to come up with a way to use wet lenses with this thing to go from macro to uwa while underwater. with the bigger sensor the lens on this thing is going to be far bigger and have a far bigger travel to go from 28/35mm where you would want it for an uwa wet lens out to 60/85/100mm you want for macro. those wet lenses need to be as close to the camera lens as possible especially on the wide end.

I just read the preview at Digital Camera Review. Their take on the G series is that Canon gave a heck of a camera and a pretty small sensor. DCR seems to approve of the much larger sensor in the G1X. The sensor is just a hair smaller than Canon's DSLR sensors. The notion on having a wide range zoom instead of interchangeable lenses like the mirrorless systems has its drawbacks and benefits. I would think that the high iso performance would improve.

Of course, you take a big $$ hit on this camera compared to the G12. But for a compact underwater camera system, it might be just about the best option short of a DSLR.

Back
Top Bottom