Canon G2 w/Ikelite housing & Inon wideangle/macro/fisheye lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dougsturgess

Reaction score
I'm looking for anyone who has the Inon wide angle/macro/fisheye or an Inon strobe to ask some questions. I heard the Inon strobs are lighter than Ikelite, but don't know anything about quality/ease of use/compatibility with Ikelite G2 housing. I'd like to see some photos taken with these lenses. Thanks.

www.pbase.com/dougsturgess

I used to use a G2 with an Ike house and one Iklite ds125 strobe. I loved the set-up. I also used the Inon WAL, and later the WAL with dome. I also used the Inon cl165? close-up.

Here's some pix using the dome

bluestar.jpg

frograys.jpg

turtlediveray.jpg

Wow, beautiful pictures! The colors are amazing. Is that a frogfish in the middle photo? Thanks for posting them. If you don't mind, I have some questions. (We're planning a week-long liveaboard in the Great Barrier Reef in March and I want to be prepared as I'll probably never be back. I also have a 20d but just can't afford the housing for it right now. I only dive about 2x/year. I love the G2 but the shutterlag drives me crazy, especially underwater.

Was the setup difficult to maneuver on the boat and in the water?

What do I need to know if I go for the same setup to beat the learning curve? I've never used a strobe.

What exactly does the dome do?

If you have the wide-angle on and decided to shoot in macro mode, will that yield good pictures?

Can you use the wide-angle lens & dome at the same time?

How difficult is the 125 to travel with?

How many shots on a battery charge on the substrobe?

Does the substrobe work wirelessly?

I'll probably have more questions later, if you don't mind. Thanks again. If you'd rather email, dougsturgess@yahoo.com

dougsturgess:
Is that a frogfish in the middle photo?

Yes

dougsturgess:
Was the setup difficult to maneuver on the boat and in the water?

Nothing compared to the system I have now. :D

dougsturgess:
What do I need to know if I go for the same setup to beat the learning curve? I've never used a strobe.

[/email]

That's a pretty open ended question. Do you already have this system or are you thinking of buying it?

dougsturgess:
What exactly does the dome do?

If you have the wide-angle on and decided to shoot in macro mode, will that yield good pictures?

Can you use the wide-angle lens & dome at the same time?

The dome is attached to the WAL which changes your view from 100 deg to 130 deg. This allows you to get much closer to subjects and also allows you to shoot bigger subjects.

These are wetmate lenses. You would take the WAL or WAL w/dome off the housing while UW to shoot macro.

Yes the dome cannot be used without the WAL

dougsturgess:
How difficult is the 125 to travel with?

How many shots on a battery charge on the substrobe?

Does the substrobe work wirelessly?

Just one more thing to pack. :D

Number of shots on a charge depends on the power you use. Range could be from 125-250

Yes, but you must have a sensor/controller

dougsturgess:
I'll probably have more questions later, if you don't mind.

Ok, but you're getting close to having to pay for a workshop. :lol:

Mike, thanks for answering the questions.

After I wrote you, I went to your website and saw what you do for a living. I really wasn't trying to get a free class but just thirsty to talk to someone with a G2 setup and substrobes so I can see what my options are.

Right now, I just have the Ikelite housing and the G2, and the 20d without any housing. I've always used the onboard flash with the G2 and thought I was happy with the photos until I started seeing ones taken with strobes (www.pbase.com/dougsturgess look in the travel photography gallery or the Favorites gallery and you can see examples taken underwater from the Caribbean to Alaska to Tahiti).

If I could, I'd love to trade in the G2 housing for the 20d but it's quite expensive. Then there's the ports, substrobes, etc. etc. etc. I'm trying to figure out how I could improve my photos with what I have now, i.e. adding on the substrobe & the Inon wide angle & dome. It sure would be nice to be able to take the 20d down under and not have the shutter lag...and not have to take 2 cameras on vacation. However, the nice thing about the G2 is you can take underwater video. I wish the 20d had that capability.

So, knowing you sell the equipment, if I were going to stick with the G2 and try to maximize it's capabilities, what would you suggest adding on to it and to make sure all the equipment is compatible? Would I see a noticeable difference in the photos the the new add-ons? Would the add-ons (substrobe, Inon wideangle/macro/dome) be compatible with the 20d housing should I every be rich enough to afford it in the future? How much could I get for a G2 Ikelite housing in excellent condition?

If your prices are competitive, I'd buy from you instead of the other company I originally purchased the Ikelite housing through.

Thanks for your time!

I was just kidding about the workshop.

You have really done a nice job with that camera. You obviously take your photography seriously!

I'm doing a workshop this morning so I have to go right now, but I'll get back to you later this evening (Hawaii time).

I think it's too late to re-coup much money from the G2 housing. I still have mine. :D

OTOH, the Inon lenses and any strobe you get will hold their used value since they can be used with newer systems.

For your situation I would go with an Ike strobe for 4 major reasons. 1) Ikelite's customer service is truly unparalleled. 2) If you ever decide to house your dSLR (I really think you will from seeing how well you shoot and the effort you put into presentation), you will have a strobe you can take with you that will eTTL compatable with a Ike dSLR housing. 3) it will be easier to attach to your present housing. 4) I'm an Ikelite dealer so I'm prejudiced.:wink:

If you do get the Inon lenses, keep in mind that you will have to sell them if you move up to a housed dSLR. But again, they won't be too hard to sell.

Buying from me? I keep my Ikelite prices about the same as B&H Photo or similar big boys. This means my mark-up is very small so I don't usually care much about selling anything less than a full system. I usually just sell invidual components as a service to my customers. So, if you buy your strobe from me or someone else doesn't matter much. I do have a used WAL/dome combo though. I also have a used sensor and arms that you will need if you go with an Ike strobe. I also have a used G2 housing if want a spare. :lol: How about a spare G2? :lol:

You may want to consider a ds125 or ds50 strobe. Both would be compatible down the road with a dSLR system. Ikelites site will give you side by side comparisons HERE.

If you decide on the ds50, and you are not in a big hurry, you should wait for the ds51 coming very soon. Same price but with manual controller.

If you are interesting in doing business with me, please email me:

mike(at) tortuga-web.com

Good luck

Do you still have a G2 housing for sale? I'd also be interested in a decent strobe and accessories. Don't know much about it....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom