Canon G9 Ikelite housing + DS51, how to attach and secure to the BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will try to post a photo this weekend. (I am currently getting my DM certification that that is taking up all of my free time!) The ring I attached is a 2 inch stainless steel split ring. I just have the one strobe attachment arm and just slid it over the arm, then attached the strobe head. It stays down in the elbow of the strobe arm. I'm sure a photo will explain better.

The basic strap is something I bought at my local specialty technical diving dive shop, which just happens to be Dive Rite Express. As I previously indicated, it's the bungie strap used on Dive Rite's Nomad Wing System, which I happen to own, so I just bought an extra one. The bungies are sold seperately and they come in 11", 13", 15", 17" and 19" lengths and run about $25 each, but remember that I did have to add the stainless steel clip to mine after I got it. If it something you decide to use, here's the link to the specific page on the Dive Rite Express website where they're sold. You can actually see the bungees on the picture of the Nomad Wing at the top of the page, but just scroll down to the bottom of the page and you will see the option to purchase the bungees individually.

Dive Rite Nomad System

Hope that helps or at least gives you an additional idea to consider!

Adrian

Adrian

Thanks for the photos and link. What length are you using in those photos?

Dave

Adrian

Thanks for the photos and link. What length are you using in those photos?

Dave

I'm not exactly sure how Dive Rite measures their bungees. The stock bungee I have on my Nomad Wing only comes with a clip on one side and it measures 21" end to end. The one I use on my camera, which I've added the extra clip to one side, measures 23" end to end. Because of these numbers, I suspect I have the longest one they sell, which I think they advertise as 19".

I'm not exactly sure how Dive Rite measures their bungees. The stock bungee I have on my Nomad Wing only comes with a clip on one side and it measures 21" end to end. The one I use on my camera, which I've added the extra clip to one side, measures 23" end to end. Because of these numbers, I suspect I have the longest one they sell, which I think they advertise as 19".

Thanks.... :thumbs_up:

I ven ttrogh the same process a few weeks ago and here is my solution.

2 SS snapbolts and a couple feet of 1/4" nylon twisted rope.

Transport position - short leash snapped on scooter ring (on a crotch strap).
Working position - long leash snapped to the chest BC ring.

Nothing in a way, esp in transport position :D. Haven't tried this config with scooter yet.

Vlad

Attachments

• IMG_0684.jpg
    IMG_0684.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0686.jpg
    IMG_0686.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
I use a Cetecea High Force Locking Retractor and attach it exactly as cfelliot has done.

I use that on two DSLR's and a point and shoot. No problems or issues thus far. Let's hope it stays that way.

That's a nice system for attaching the camera - Thanks for sharing the pic!

I would only rely on that if you are diving in mild to no current, because I'm not sure I would trust those tie-wraps in stronger currents, but I recognize that is usually not a problem because most divers do not take their camera on dives with them if the currents are strong.

I'm in a unique situation, because I dive a closed circuit rebreather, which requires me to ensure that my hands will be free to perform a bailout and/or a diluent flush at a moments notice if the oxygen in my loop unexpectedly heads in a direction other than where it should be. In that scenario, regardless of where I am in the dive, I need to drop the camera and deal with my rebreather. Consequently, I need to make sure I have a very secure method of attaching the camera to me, because that emergency may occur at the worst moment.

Furthermore, the deeper wrecks I dive often have VERY strong currents and I NEVER leave my camera on the boat. On descents, which can be a hand over hand crueling pull down for many minutes, I often leave the camera hanging below me on the elastic cord I use. I also often leave the camera hanging on the cord during my long decompression stops, which can also be in strong currents. Both of those scenarios lead me to the conclusion that I don't really want the security of my camera relying on plastic tie-wraps, but as I indicated, because of the gear I dive and the conditions I dive in.

Adrian

I ven ttrogh the same process a few weeks ago and here is my solution.

2 SS snapbolts and a couple feet of 1/4" nylon twisted rope.

Transport position - short leash snapped on scooter ring (on a crotch strap).
Working position - long leash snapped to the chest BC ring.

Nothing in a way, esp in transport position :D. Haven't tried this config with scooter yet.

Vlad

That looks like a very secure way to ensure your camera is not going anywhere! Seems like a great solution, for any conditions!!

Adrian

I love all the pics on this thread! I recently upgraded from Ikelite to Patima housing, and i'm wondering how you guys prevent your right hand from getting cut on the latch. I usually don't wear a glove, and im hoping I dont need to. It would be a pain to have to buy a supply of plasters just to stick on before every dive. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom