Canon S90 - Dead Pixel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Citra

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just received my S90 from B&H and right out of the box, I notice a red spot on the upper middle part on the viewfinder. Is this a dead pixel or a stuck pixel? Will this go away? Does this affect the actual picture (print)? Does Canon warranty this or should I send it back to B&H for a replacement? At least I hope they will replace it. It is brand new and never used other than turning it on. I don't know if this is a big issue ,but after paying $400 for a camera, seeing that little red spot really bugs me. What do you think I should do?

Check out LCD Monitor on page 3 of the manual. Its a dead pixel that won't affect the picture. Dead pixels are an unfortunate LCD reality and 1 dead pixel won't satisfy a warranty claim. One of the reasons to buy at a brick and mortar store that lets you inspect the goods before you purchase.

If it's new/unused and you find a defect when you remove it from the original packing, you should contact the seller immediately. Did B&H publish or give you some sort of guarantee about the condition of the camera on receipt at your home? If you don't receive satisfaction from B&H, you can contact Canon -- its customer service department is very responsive and the rep will tell you whether or not this is a warranty issue.

I tried the camera again and this time I could not see the red dot. I thought that maybe it fixed it self, but no such luck. I tried various shoots and focusing on different things and some it would show up and sometimes not. It is still there just not all the time and sometimes a very faint red or a little brighter. I even displayed a black screen and no red dot was present. I am a little confused as to what this is. If it was a dead pixel would it not be a black dot as it is not displaying light at all? Is a stuck pixel just stuck on a certain color (red as in my case)? Is this a sensor problem and will it affect the image or just the display screen? Will this ever clear it self up or will it always be there?

It's a broke pixal. If it bothers you, send it back. Otherwise it will just grate on you more.

I got a dead pixel after owning the camera for 2 months...I'll live with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom