Canon with Red Filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bflem55

Contributor
Reaction score
Just looking for some suggestions. I uploaded some pics into my profile from my recent Cozumel trip. I use a 7.1 megapixel point and shoot cannon with a ikelite housing and a red filter. I dont think the pictures look to bad. I am wondering if I can get some suggestions of equipment I can change. Thank you

Yea I am trying to decide whether to go with a af35 or some other sort of strobe

no_x_pert_2_cents.png

Which Canon camera do you have?

Does it have RAW capability?

If so, shoot all your photos in RAW, especially the non-strobe shots. No filter needed for that. Post process them in Canon DPP that came with the camera (if it did).

Filter won't help that much at deeper depths. If no RAW capability use the "custom" white balance setting (if you have that) and calibrate the WB off a white card at the varying depths for non-strobe shots. Remember to switch back to "auto" WB for strobe shots or you get red photos. Post process in PS or whatever program you have.

Use the camera's built in strobe for shots under 2 feet, provided the housing does not obstruct the strobe?

Last but not least add an external strobe.

see your AF35 thread for more...

But I was wondering what shutter speed you were using? Or even mode Tv,Av,P, Auto??? I like the composition of your shots, but it seems there is a bit of blur. I can't really tell if it's misfocus or a low shutter speed and motion blur.

I suggest an external strobe. Which camera are you using, I'm still shooting with my 7.1mp Canon G6 in Ike housing, still going strong but I am noticing the small LCD compared to my S90.

If you really want to improve your shots, drop the filter, get a strobe and learn to shoot in manual mode. The red filter adds more problems than it solves so until you get a strobe, remove the filter and use manual white balance instead. It's more work but you will get better shots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom