Cape Town diving, revisited.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vetdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Just wanted to let you Cape Town-ers know that the hubby and I bought tickets today for an October visit. We'll be there the week of Oct 15 - plan on doing the shark thing, of course, and at leasst one other day (possibly - likely - two) other days of diving...expecially since I'm bringing my dry suit all the way over there, we'd better make it worthwhile. We're renting a house with my sister-in-law (a non-diver) in the boonies. Would love to try to work out a get-together (diving or drinking) with some of you as previously discussed - and would really like to hear about some of the dive sites in the area as the dates approach.

Can't wait...

Hi

Just a quick note to let you know we aren't ignoring you - I have had internet connection problems which I only got sorted out yesterday , don't know where Simon is .Better give him a call .

If you let us know what sort of diving you like I'm sure we can help you choose some nice sites . The get together is definitely on !!! It would be great to meet you guys .

Till later

Safe Diving

Andrew

Haven't checked this for a while. We are all booked, and the house is paid for. Now we just have to wait until October.

We're open to anything - shoe or boat/charter, whatever you guys recommend. It is bound to be better than the freezing cold and murky water of Massachusetts (not that I am not perfectly happy to dive here, but I am always happy to dive elsewhere - two weeks ago, it was 39F and 15 ft vis here).

We'll wait to see what you guys advise, I'll probably start trying to book dives at the end of the summer.

What did you pay for that plane ticket btw, I'm going down there towards the end of the year myself to KiteBoard and Dive.

ShakaZulu:
What did you pay for that plane ticket btw, I'm going down there towards the end of the year myself to KiteBoard and Dive.

I'l be there with the husband and sister-in-law in October (week of the 16th). From Boston, the flights were just under $1600 each. We're flying KLM via Amsterdam (we are currently racking up Continental miles for an upgrade - 2007 or 8 trip to Micronesia, and KLM codeshares). This flight also got us the shortest layover and enabled us not to fly via Johannesburg (my mom's request). It sucks - Boston is the hub of no airline! Can't you get there nonstop from LA???

AndyT:
Hi

Just a quick note to let you know we aren't ignoring you - I have had internet connection problems which I only got sorted out yesterday , don't know where Simon is .Better give him a call .

Andrew

Andrew

I'm here. No more diving for 18 months :(( Had my cornea transplant last Tuesday and the doc says a big no-no to getting my head below water. The other eye is scheduled for January next year so no diving at least until September next year......

Simon

sbloomer:
Andrew

I'm here. No more diving for 18 months :(( Had my cornea transplant last Tuesday and the doc says a big no-no to getting my head below water. The other eye is scheduled for January next year so no diving at least until September next year......

Simon

September 2006???? That's terrible...well, except for the fact that you got the transplant. Hope it heals well.

vetdiver:
September 2006???? That's terrible...well, except for the fact that you got the transplant. Hope it heals well.

Vetdiver...

It's bit of a bummer but, hey, if I can't see anything theres not much point is there :)

It doesn't mean I can't line my stomach with beer or some of our fine South African wine.

I'll make you a deal. I can't take you diving (Andy will have to do that) will you let me take you and hubby on a guided tour of some of our top wineries and treat you to a top South African braai?

vetdiver:
It sucks - Boston is the hub of no airline! Can't you get there nonstop from LA???

You should be able to fly LAX-ATL-CPT for around US$2000 flying Delta and SAA

sbloomer:
You should be able to fly LAX-ATL-CPT for around US$2000 flying Delta and SAA

SAA goes through Johannesberg - they don't have a nonstop from Atlanta to CPT anymore. As a result, my mother would have freaked out. Plus, it actually wound up being more overall travel time (airport sitting included), as it was 3 flights rather than 2 - left at like 1 pm on the Friday, got there at 11 pm on Saturday. Our KLM stuff goes through Amsterdam, which is a bit out of the way, but we only change planes once - leave at 7 pm on Friday, get there at 11 pm on Saturday. Argh. But like I said, at least we are stocking up miles to upgrade a flight to Truk at some point! Prices were all about the same - I think we wound up paying $3300 for both tix, not bad.

Point taken - fun to be under the water and all, but being able to see stuff helps.

Great offer - thanks! We are planning to do a winery trip one day - my sister-in-law is figuring that out, we'll have a driver so we can partake without any danger of wrapping the rental car around a tree. We'll let you know what day so you can come with - also, I've heard we're having friends over for a barbecue and drinks the weekend we get there, so I expect to see you all there. Many couches to crash on, etc.

Back
Top Bottom