"Cap'n I Don't Remember"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Star Trek's 'Scotty' Diagnosed With Alzheimer's Disease

SEATTLE -- James M. Doohan, the actor who played "Scotty" on Star Trek, has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, his agent confirmed Tuesday.

Doohan, 84, was diagnosed with Alzheimer's "within the last couple months," agent Steven Stevens told The Associated Press. He said Doohan is in the beginning stages of the disease, a progressive neurological disorder that afflicted former President Ronald Reagan, who died June 5.

Doohan also has suffered for some time with Parkinson's disease, diabetes and fibrosis due to chemical exposure during World War II and the D-Day invasion in France, said Stevens, of Sherman Oaks, Calif.

Doohan lives in Redmond. A telephone number was not listed and a call his son, Chris Doohan, of California, was not immediately returned Tuesday.

Stevens said he last saw Doohan in January in Los Angeles when the actor made a cameo appearance in the upcoming horror film, "Skinwalker: Curse of the Shaman."

"He didn't have any energy and he seemed very frail. But as soon as they yelled 'Action,' he was the same old feisty Scotty," said Stevens, who has represented Doohan for the past 28 years.

Doohan was born March 3, 1920, in Vancouver, British Columbia. His career spans more than 50 years, but he is best known for his role as the USS. Enterprise's affable chief engineer, Cmdr. Montgomery Scott, in the original 1966-69 "Star Trek" TV series.

He has lived in Redmond for almost a dozen years with his wife, Wende. They have a 4-year-old daughter and two older sons, and Doohan has four children from a previous marriage, Stevens said.

Doohan was selected last month to receive a star Aug. 31 on Hollywood's Walk of Fame.

Before his induction, Doohan plans a three-day Star Trek farewell convention, Aug. 28-30, in Hollywood, Stevens said. All surviving members of the original Enterprise crew are scheduled to attend, including William Shatner, who played Capt. Kirk, and Leonard Nimoy, who was Mr. Spock.

"Cap'n I Don't Remember" - Scotty - Star Trek TOS Episode 39, Season 2 - Wolf In The Fold - Stardate 3614.9

How's that for geeky? :D

Marc

It is such a sad disease. I watched my father-in-laws get ravaged by it. It was a shame that he couldn't enjoy his grandkids because he loved them so much when he was well.

If he just had a bad heart or artrithis etc he could still enjoy his family even though he was sick.

James Doohan has certainly been hit with a quadruple whammy. Alzheimers, Parkinson, diabetes & fibrosis.

My prayers are with him & his family.

This gettin' old thing is ain't for whimps.

FLL Diver:
They have a 4-year-old daughter and two older sons, and Doohan has four children from a previous marriage, Stevens said.

Wow...83 years old with a four-yr old daughter....

scubasean:
Wow...83 years old with a four-yr old daughter....
I think it is the Scots in him (even if his name sounds Irish) :wink:

This hit home for me because not only I'm I a star trek fan but my father has Alzheimers. This is a man (my father) who fought WWII and has so many stories. He would talk for hours to strangers,freinds and family about anything. Now he forgets them all and I end up finishing his stories. It's like your Hero slowly fading away from you day by day. my prayers are with his family and I hope he gets that star on the boardwalk soon before he mentally can't enjoy it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom