Captain Greg’s hotel in Puerto Galera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaFlea

Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings All.
I’m getting really close to a great dive trip and I wanted to ask,,,,, I see Captain Greg’s place on Agoda for reservations. Have they fully rebuilt and are back in business? I haven’t heard much about CG’s on YouTube lately.
Thanks for your time.
Good Dives, SeaFlea

I had dinner at Captain Gregs a couple of times last week. The restaurant has a great view and the portions are large as is the menu selections. Food was mediocre, I went for the view (Great intercloud lightning show one night). The place looks clean. The dive shop shut down early and didn't seem busy. The malecon or esplanade along the waterfront downtown is ALMOST done (they had set the bricks and finished up the concrete edging while I was there.) Keep in mind that captain greg's is dead in the middle of town surrounded by discos and pounding music, street walkers, dealers etc. Nice place to visit, but I think staying northwest of sabang is much nicer and it is an easy walk into town. I am really happy that I stayed in big La Laguna beach (at LLBC), but Scandi also is a nice property and dive center. Scandi and LLBC seem to be Philippine run and the tech center at LLBC is European run.) The korean dive center on Big La Laguna is shut down and abandoned. LLBC has a pretty big tech center and can blend nitrox, O2 and provide helium. When I wanted to dive sidemount, they provided sidemount tanks and setup the DM in sidemount for an extra 300 pesos. Diving in PG was great and really mellow, sadly no sign of the thresher sharks.

I had dinner at Captain Gregs a couple of times last week. The restaurant has a great view and the portions are large as is the menu selections. Food was mediocre, I went for the view (Great intercloud lightning show one night). The place looks clean. The dive shop shut down early and didn't seem busy. The malecon or esplanade along the waterfront downtown is ALMOST done (they had set the bricks and finished up the concrete edging while I was there.) Keep in mind that captain greg's is dead in the middle of town surrounded by discos and pounding music, street walkers, dealers etc. Nice place to visit, but I think staying northwest of sabang is much nicer and it is an easy walk into town. I am really happy that I stayed in big La Laguna beach (at LLBC), but Scandi also is a nice property and dive center. Scandi and LLBC seem to be Philippine run and the tech center at LLBC is European run.) The korean dive center on Big La Laguna is shut down and abandoned. LLBC has a pretty big tech center and can blend nitrox, O2 and provide helium. When I wanted to dive sidemount, they provided sidemount tanks and setup the DM in sidemount for an extra 300 pesos. Diving in PG was great and really mellow, sadly no sign of the thresher sharks.
Thanks. We decided to stay in Step Garden, wanted a quiet place not far from town. I was looking for feedback on CG as a dive operator choosing between it, Angelyn, and a few other nearby operators. Leaning to Greg...

Thanks. We decided to stay in Step Garden, wanted a quiet place not far from town. I was looking for feedback on CG as a dive operator choosing between it, Angelyn, and a few other nearby operators. Leaning to Greg...
Greg is your only choice!!!
AFAIK, Atlantis does not accept walk in customer.
Big Apple has lost its front office by the beach(then).
Frontier has moved to Bohol.
I am not sure if Angelyn has compressor.
Song of Joy is mainly for Korean.
Beer Shark is mainly for certain communist national.
The rest in that area are more or less less than couple of yrs old.

If you do not mind to walk over to Small La Laguna then Action Divers is another option. They certainly have been around for quite a while.

I stayed at Capt'n Greggs for two and a bit weeks in September. Accommodation was good, but there was some disco noise each night even though the windows are double glazed. We had ear plugs so had very good sleeps.

The food was very good, contrary to what an early post says. Many people who stay elsewhere come here to eat. Most nights the restaurant was fairly full. Diving was well run too.

I would recommend it to anyone.

I stayed there before. I was kind of pissed off about how it went but it was my very first time in the Philippines and I had just arrived. I got to Puerta Galera town and a tricycle driver got me to Captain Greg's. I went in, booked a room, went to the room and unloaded my bags, went downstairs and booked a Verde Island trip and as I am coming in, I am asked to vacate the room because they said it was apparently booked. I think the tricycle driver actually demanded payment for bringing me and the response was to remove me.

I didn't raise a fuss about it but I ended up trying to make friends on the dive boat anyway. I went diving with them again the next day because my gear was already hanging in their diveshop and it was a really shabby shallow wreck that I dove alone on and was then ignored at the diveshop while I took my gear and left. So two days of diving in disdain. I went back the next day to pay and I had to wait almost an hour to be acknowledged, during which time I was tempted to just leave without paying.

The only friendly people were a Photographer named Ted and a Danish former soldier turned tech diver who I was not diving with. Am I entitled to friendly treatment? No, I guess not. But it would have made a difference. I couldn't even get a coffee without waiting half an hour. Maybe I did something to offend them, it sure felt like it.

That was years ago, shortly after Typhoon Yolanda, so maybe that's the reason.

I stayed there before. I was kind of pissed off about how it went but it was my very first time in the Philippines and I had just arrived. I got to Puerta Galera town and a tricycle driver got me to Captain Greg's. I went in, booked a room, went to the room and unloaded my bags, went downstairs and booked a Verde Island trip and as I am coming in, I am asked to vacate the room because they said it was apparently booked. I think the tricycle driver actually demanded payment for bringing me and the response was to remove me.

I didn't raise a fuss about it but I ended up trying to make friends on the dive boat anyway. I went diving with them again the next day because my gear was already hanging in their diveshop and it was a really shabby shallow wreck that I dove alone on and was then ignored at the diveshop while I took my gear and left. So two days of diving in disdain. I went back the next day to pay and I had to wait almost an hour to be acknowledged, during which time I was tempted to just leave without paying.

The only friendly people were a Photographer named Ted and a Danish former soldier turned tech diver who I was not diving with. Am I entitled to friendly treatment? No, I guess not. But it would have made a difference. I couldn't even get a coffee without waiting half an hour. Maybe I did something to offend them, it sure felt like it.

That was years ago, shortly after Typhoon Yolanda, so maybe that's the reason.
Well Ted is still diving there! However, totally unlike my experience this year.

Back
Top Bottom