Captain John's Diving in Oahu???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Intermission

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone dove with Captain John's Diving? Traded some e-mails with them about prices and such. According to his web page, he has been around since 1999, just curious if anyone has had any dives and what their impressions were. Thanks

Never heard of them. Heard of Captain Bruce's and Captain Joe's - but not Captain John's.

Where are they located and/or what harbor do they operate out of?

chepar:
Never heard of them. Heard of Captain Bruce's and Captain Joe's - but not Captain John's.

Where are they located and/or what harbor do they operate out of?

The web page says they are located 15 minutes east of Waikiki, and operate out of Koko Marina

Intermission:
The web page says they are located 15 minutes east of Waikiki, and operate out of Koko Marina
I'm curious too, perhaps you could list the website URL. A google search for captain john's diving oahu, or captain john's koko marina turns up nada.

Steve

I found
Capt. John's www.johnsdiving.com
Capt. Bruce www.captainbruce.com (they seem well established)
and
Capt. Joe's www.hawaiicaptainjoe.com

Strange, but Capt. Joe's web site requires ID/password to get in. How would anyone find out info about them?!

As for Capt. John, I had emailed them, and they indicated they are divning in north Oahu (but web site says east Oahu). The times are
Morning Charter 8:00 a.m. TO 11:30 a.m.
Afternoon Charter 12:30 p.m. TO 4:00 p.m.
Evening Charter 5:00 p.m. TO 8:30 p.m.
It seems short for 2-tank boat dives.

Even after looking at Captain John's website, I still have not a clue. I dive out of Koko Marina pretty regularly and I don't recognize the boat (what I could see of it in the picture). However, there are so many dive operators here, it's really hard to keep track of them.

Captain Bruce's is pretty established, and they're not bad. I've dived with them several times.

I'm familiar with Captain Joe because a dive club I belong to regularly uses his boat for club dives. I've never done any dives during which he was the operator - (meaning the person/company that was actually running the dives).

My personal opinion is that your best bet is to go with an operator that you've seen recommended or heard good things about from a range of people (like here on Scubaboard). I think that's the best way you'll get a good diving experience.

There are a lot of dive operators here to choose from. When I was first certified, I didn't have a buddy - much less knew anyone that did any diving. I had a couple of bad experiences with some dive operations out on the east side - besides dangerous diving practices, I really felt like just an open wallet to them.

Intermission:
Has anyone dove with Captain John's Diving? Traded some e-mails with them about prices and such. According to his web page, he has been around since 1999, just curious if anyone has had any dives and what their impressions were. Thanks

Yes, I have been on Captain John's boat they are nice people and have a great sense of humor. It is a small boat so you get the extra personal attention. You will have a blast....They are nice and assist you with everything....well.. not everything (lol) with your gear that is...

Captain Bruce is under new ownership (former owner died last year) since March or May 2004.

justleesa:
Captain Bruce is under new ownership (former owner died last year) since March or May 2004.

Has the new ownership affected the way Captain Bruce's is running (negatively or positively) in any way? Haven't done any dives with since the new ownership, but I have noticed that their informal club newsletters stopped coming.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom