Cardiff State Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wguy00

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Thanks to wannalaguna and his thread, I think I'd like to dive in Cardiff State Beach this weekend. Does anyone have any tips or advice for this area? My g/f and I are still fairly new divers (she's got 15, i've got 10) but we have our AOW certs. I'll take any info you guys wanna throw out there. :D

Not been there. You might want to check out http://www.sandeaters.org for their list of dive sites or any of the other on line list of dive sites. Your local dive shop will also have a guide to SoCal diving where with good descriptions of dive sites. Not every beach has SCUBA diving, some are just sand deserts. Good luck and good diving.

OK.... how 'bout if I throw this out there. Assuming you're talking about South Cardiff State Beach, this is not a dive I would recommend for new divers. You have two points of entry for this shallow reef diver, neither is easy. You can park at the South end of the parking lot of the State beach, but the swim to the reefs is long, very shallow, and you have to go way out, then south, past the surfers.

Alternately, you can walk South along the beach, but it's rocks, loose sand and a long way down to the beach below Tide park, which is your next entry point. I usually park at Tide Park on the street above, but there's a stair you have to traverse with 145 steps to it, quite a haul up when you're tired and soaking wet.

The reefs are very shallow on top, and can be quite deceiving, you'll want to stay way North or way South of the reefs until you get past the shallowest part. It's one of the longest shore dives I do in So-Cal. The actual reefs once you kick out are in 20'-30', depending on the tide. You can always dive straight out from the parking lot, but as far as I know, that's just sand.

There are much better dive sites in San Diego for someone just starting out. Wherever you go, dive safe, have fun and come back from the dive.

Thank you guys for your thoughts on the subject. After thinking about what's been said, I think we're just going to try and go to La Jolla instead. Either way, it's better than sitting at home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom