Info Care to share what you have your Shearwater displaying?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read this and thought I would give it a try. I was already extending my SS and slowly ascending after to get a lower SurGF, but using it to pick the SS depth to supposedly off gas more efficiently intrigued me. After trying and seeing that I was surfacing with even a lower GF, I thought I would continue.

Edit: Plus it gives me something to do during my SS. :)
THANK YOU for sharing that article. Great stuff!

View attachment 795875

After a couple of dives today, I think this is the layout I prefer... for now...
... so, decided to swap out the GTR for SAC.
I realised that during a dive I do scroll over occasionally and have a look to see what my current SAC is to kinda gauge my current workload and I as I always end my dives with a comfortable amount of gas, I never look at my GTR, so why have it on the front page?

I recently ended up replacing GF99 (which is always 0 until the last phase of ascent) for CEIL. Still unsure if it’s really valuable in addition to the deco stops shown by default.

I recently ended up replacing GF99 (which is always 0 until the last phase of ascent) for CEIL. Still unsure if it’s really valuable in addition to the deco stops shown by default.
At least CEIL helps you feel less guilty when you bust your stop by 2 feet when you get distracted...:cool:

...using it to pick the SS depth to supposedly off gas more efficiently intrigued me. After trying and seeing that I was surfacing with even a lower GF, I thought I would continue.
After reading the article, I too was intrigued by using GF99 at the very end of the dive to push your safety stop/last deco depth to an optimal level for off-gassing.

But I was a little dismayed to read one comment that said, "In this case, a further 3 minutes brings the SurGF down to 70%. This is a very safe 30% insulation against DCS risk" [emphasis mine].

I think @Dr Simon Mitchell would strongly disagree with an assertion that there's a linear correlation between SurGF and DCS risk.

@Fastmarc , I agree! This is a very nice layman's intro to using some of the coolest Shearwater features. But seeing that this article was so popular that it's now an e-book, I felt obligated to comment on the less scientific of his claims.

Thank you @Fastmarc ! I'm now putting GF99 back on my display for a trial of his idea of tuning final stop depth to some ratio of GF99:SurGF to optimize off-gassing.

I have experimental beta software loaded on mine. Many people find numbers and data very intimidating and don't necessarily understand them anyway, so this may be an alternative. Now if I could just get Netflix. :wink:

IMG_0420.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom