Care to share your DM experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
I don't have students work in the store. I might be good for them but I'm not certain it would be good for me. ......I have them attend as many OW and pool sessions as I can. Usually before a candidate is a DM they have been incvolves in dozens of pool and OW sessions. The standards don't require near that many but it takes that many to learn.

Some students might work out for you Mike. Sometimes they are able to have an enthusiasm that is contagious and makes people want to take classes and buy equipment. That's not to say that everyone should work in the shop tho.

When I was checking on DM class I was told after I did all academics and pool requirements I had to come work in the dive shop for free until I sold enough equipment to prove that I knew how to properly care for a new diver. No, I'm not joking. That meant that I would have to quit my job at the dive shop I worked at. Needless to say I found another avenue to get the job done. I found out later from some of his former students that you finished class faster the more equipment you sold. Of course the certifying agency said he couldn't do that but refuses to stop the practice.

I would find an Instructor You could trust to teach the class instead of a dive store owner that wanted free labor.

My opining

Scott

ICUROK once bubbled...
I would find an Instructor You could trust to teach the class instead of a dive store owner that wanted free labor.

I finally did, even tho it wasn't easy. Then I thought I'd try to find an instructor trainer. Now THAT was a real brillant move. I actually had to write national headquarters before I could find anyone.

ICUROK once bubbled...

My opining

Scott

Forget that. As a dive shop owner I would like to know how to get free labor out of anyone. IME, DM candidates are students and represent a liability and work like any other student.

Mike

Helping out in the water on classes is valuable,on hand training for dm and ai, But working in the shop(selling and filling tanks) is not part of the training; that is what I am referring to free labor.

Scott

I felt like I was a slave to the LDS when I did my DiveMaster training. While I didn't have to work at the shop, I did work all the OW, AOW, and many specialty classes for an entire summer. I was getting pretty tired of it all.....but on the other hand, it was the last of the truly challenging classes. One thing I did learn, I have no interest in the politics or business of diving.....I dive for the pure pleasure of it!! ages

ages once bubbled...
I felt like I was a slave to the LDS when I did my DiveMaster training. While I didn't have to work at the shop, I did work all the OW, AOW, and many specialty classes for an entire summer. I was getting pretty tired of it all.....but on the other hand, it was the last of the truly challenging classes. One thing I did learn, I have no interest in the politics or business of diving.....I dive for the pure pleasure of it!! ages

A DM is supposed to be trained to supervise divers and assist in training. We learn by doing. I issue sign off on a DM when the candidate becomes a DM that I would want to actually have work with me.

The business of diving can be a drag. Many DM and even instructors try to detatch themselves from it. The problem is that the instructor or DM is at the very heart of the industry, like it or not. IMO, it's also the instructors and DM that has the power to influence the industry because they have the most direct contact and influence on divers. Trouble is most just perpetuate it. You know? garbage in, garbage out.

The dive shop I will be taking my DM course with has indicated this, I should attend as many classroom and OW classes as possible, obviously study the required materials and perform any required skills neccessary, but also learn to fill tanks and repair equipment. Not as slave labour in his shop but to help out with the classes. As a DM you may be required to do this as a professiona. He doesn't want his DMs selling gear, but to know the many different styles and types (all within reason)......

My experience has been the doing an Intership is the only real way to become a good DM. The shop I work through requires you work with 2 complete OW classes from start to finish including the academic, pool sessions and open water weekend as well as all of the DM academic work. The instructor does the DM academic work for 1 hour 2 nights a week right before the OW students show up. The senior DM's mentor the new ones and help them. DM's don't work in the shop but they are welcome to participate in shop activities. The shop I work through makes a strong effort to make the DM's and the DM's in training feel like a part of the business. Most of the DM's take longer than 2 classes to really feel comfortable with the nature of the job. After they get their card they still work with a senior DM to learn the non training aspects of the job. It's a good system and it turns out some of the best DM's I have the pleasure of working with. The instructor will not pass people that are not capable period.

I guess it depends on the shop and the instructor as to what they are comfortable with.

I don't know if I agree with working in the shop, that would be on an individual basis for me. Some are good at working with the public and some are not. I would not want a DM candidate giving bad advice. There is a lot to learn about being a DM without putting them on the floor to sell gear.

Scott

norcaldiver once bubbled...

If you're doing to get the cert, don't. If you're doing it because they want you to , don't. If you're doing it for you because you want to become an Instr or a working DM, GO FOR IT!

Couldn't agree more!

DM level is pro. Doing the course without doing all the practical and gritty work is not very good IMHO.

I find it amazing the amount of people out there just do the DM course so they can say that they are a DM and not have any experience, only mimimal dives and not seen another LDC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom