Career Change Help Plz...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Strange

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Guys,

I'm a certified 6G Pipe welder. Currently im working in the in the Middle East, and I'm thinking about Commercial Diving... Before I came over here, I worked in the Marine Construction Industry out of Tampa Fl for about 5 years. Pyle driving, rigging, tug boats, Friction Cranes, spud barges, dredging, Fabrication and the like. Ive worked 1 on 1 with the diver crews there fabricating things for them, aided in salvage of sunken barges in shipping channels... I'm 25 years old, and work hard.

Recently I have been thinking very seriously about Commercial Diving as a change in direction for my career. I have already been to a trade school before... It was 14 Months long and focused on Mechanics and Custom car building along with fabrication.Engine blueprinting, over haul, electronics, you name it. While there I learned my Welding skills. Proficient in MIG, TIG, and Stick. Mild steel and aluminum. Ive had a few different Certs for welding, but the one that keeps me working is the 6G Pipe.

I know alot about mechanics, diesel and gasoline, along with welding many different medium.

At first glance, this Commercial Diving Option seems very nice... However, once you start to dig a little deeper, it gets a little depressing... Soo many different opinions that people have towards the topic. Ive got money in the bank for the school, no wife and no kids. My goal is to have a job that will allow me to live anywhere in the world. For example, work on a rotation of 28/28 and live in Indonesia while in off.

From what im reading, after finishing school, you are lucky if you can get offshore, and even inshore in the USA (im American by the way) Looking at 10 - 12 bucks an hour. I don't mind paying my dues (again) but for 10 an hour, I would have to live in Cambodia, to be comfortable financially.

The school I'm looking at, you can see here:

Divers Institute of Technology

They seem pretty Legit. their welding Instructor can certify me in Anything I choose, along with all the International Certs that I need to work overseas. So from that school, I can get the commercial diving certs, rigging, hazmat, Re-certify in 6G above water, and get certified "Wet Welder" Under the water. Ill AWS Certs... The School is 30 weeks and about 18,000 USD. I know some people think "Just get the Commertial Diving and your company will certify you in the rest" But I kinda feel that the more legitimate "in pocket" Certs I have in my particular field, the more value I have.

So from the guys in the Biz, and the old hands in the know, what is your no bull***** opinion about what im looking at... What will it take to start offshore? What about the money? I really have no interest in Quitting my job, going to school, then making 12 an hour for 1-2 years.

Thanks in advance,

Strange

Last edited:
Full-time construction divers don't frequent this site. 99% of the folks who use this venue are either hobby-recreational divers, or people that sell to them. Your questions deserve experienced answers, as you are contemplating a big change in life and work.

Asking those questions here are like asking a softball team how to enter professional baseball.

Best wishes with whatever the future brings you.

I don't have experience as a commercial diver - but I do as being 41 with 2 kids and feeling "trapped" in my job because I need to support my family ...

You're 25, young, you've got good experience, no kids, money, and I assume healthy. Follow you dream dude while you can!

El Orans, Apologies for the post, However, I did use the search function, and it was not really helpful. I guess im looking for technical advice... I have posted on a few different forums hoping someone could give me some guidance.

Actually I have been researching this pretty heavily in my off time, and its hard to get a "real world" opinion. The schools are trying to give me the hard sell, people are saying 100 different things... Ive already been down the Technical School route once before and I know there BS.

I know this is not really a "commercial Diving" forum, I was just hoping maybe somebody could shed some light about what Potential Employers want to see in a student, and life offshore, work rotation, and if what I want to do is, well, Doable.. I dont mind working at all, just want the lifestyle to live where I want, and make decent money...

Thanks guys for any insight...

El Orans, Apologies for the post.
No apologies necessary. :)

However, I did use the search function, and it was not really helpful.
There is lots of information available here about commercial diving. It may take a bit of trial and error to determine which criteria to use though.

Another option would be to use the Advanced Member Search to find all Commercial Divers on SB. They should be able to give you more specific information.

Strange... click on my Mar-Vel link. Talk to the people there about your aspirations. I think you'll find that Commercial Diving is NOT going to be what you really want to pursue for your purposes of living in a variety of environments but salvage might be a better choice - what you are already doing.
Either way, talk to the people at Mar-Vel

Hey matey!

I hear ya! I am about to start my commercial tkt down here in Australia in Jan and am looking to head offshore asap. I hear many different stories also about the field. I know a few people working offshore down here in Oz and right now there is loads of work and it is paying well. What they do say is just be aware that the amount of work can fluctuate, although they are pretty confident that the current boom shall last for many years to come. That said, if your prepared to travel then you will open up your job prospects. The guys I know here usually work 1 month at a time with all flights, meals etc and earning 1300AUS dollars a day plus allowances. (A little less than the USD)

With your trade studies and experience you have a great head start into the area, Employers really want to know if you can complete tasks underwater including the use of tools and with that on your CV its a plus. After speaking with a local Instructor here, I am taking his advice and also gaining my Dogging and Rigging tkts before I start my course.

I am looking forward to it mate. And if ya think its what you want to do then go for it!!

Cheers from Down Under

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom