Caribbean Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaGil

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings and salutation fellow divers,
I'm curious to know if besides the Aggressor fleet and the two boats that Explorer Ventures has what other liveaboards are there in the Caribbean?

I want to go diving somewhere where the flight time is less than 12 hours (I am in NJ) and dive for a week on a boat. As it stands now the two companies mentioned above are booked solid.

Any recommendations for other liveaboard operators or a destination I'm not thinking of would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,
Gil

At that same level there's the MV Pearl diving Utila/Roatan. DivEncounters | M/V Caribbean Pearl II – Honduras
I've read they're having trouble reliably filling the boat so many of the "e-mail for info" trips listed on the schedule might be wishful thinking on their part.

In summer the Rocio Del Mar dives the Sea of Cortez. While it's not the Caribbean, you fly into Phoenix and take their shuttle down to the boat in Puerto Penasco so it's pretty convenient. It's also really popular and is mostly sold out this year and next. There appears to be some openings in July thru the chartering party - details are on the schedule. Rocio Del Mar Liveaboard

From Miami - Juliet Liveaboard Diving Vacations - Juliet Sailing and Diving

In the Bahamas - Scuba Diving Liveaboard Aqua Cat

sometimes Cat Ppalu sells leftover charter spaces
The Bahamas Charter Sailboat Cat Ppalu

Lost Island Voyages also. Welcome to Lost Island Voyages | Scuba Diving Adventures in the Bahamas | Miami, FL

From either the Bahamas or Miami - Dolphin Dream Bahamas Yacht Charter vessel DOLPHIN DREAM.

Also Shearwater and MV Spree if you don't mind bunks. Spree has just started going to Cuba
Shearwater is known for the Tiger Beach trips Spree is out of Key West, Shearwater West Palm Beach.

Spree Expeditions Inc. | Dry Tortugas Scuba Diving Liveaboard | M/V Spree Diving the Dry Tortugas | Florida Key Wrecks | Bahamas
Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures |

fyi, both of the Turks/Caicos boats (Aggressor and Explorer) are currently doing whale snorkeling in the Silver Banks thru about April also - no diving.

Last edited:
Caribbean Pearl in Roatan/Utila (which used to be an Aggressor)
Aquacat in the Bahamas (I know, not technically the Caribbean)
Blackbeards/Cat Ppalu in the Bahamas (same company as AQ but lower end options)
Juliet
Spree
Cuan Law - BVI

Just as a caveat, the Blackbeard's ships are kind of a bunk bed operations. Some folks enjoy the shared space accommodation but as an older guy, I prefer my little bit of privacy at night. The Caribbean Pearl is a pretty clean ship but you can get some of the same dives from land based resorts on Roatan or Utila with the exception of Cayos Cochino.

As it stands now the two companies mentioned above are booked solid.
Get your name on a standby list with either the companies or the groups that chartered the boats. There are often late-breaking openings, often with a discount.

We have cabin 6 left for a couple on the Cat Ppalu for the July 2 sailing. Leaves from Nassau diving the Exumas all week, see Cat Ppalu website. This is a small group of friends from all over, Florida, Arizona, Utah, Minnesota, that have met on previous dive trips and we always welcome new friends. The cost is charter + fees divided by 12, no one goes for free.

The cost is charter + fees divided by 12, no one goes for free.

Good for you! We do the same thing. We all equally share in free spots/commissions/group discounts. That way everyone gets a great deal and no one goes on another persons dime. I chartered the Caribbean Explorer II for this June doing Saba/ St. Kitts. Instead of paying the $1995 retail, we are all going for $1400 each.

Thank you all for all of the detailed information. I will be sure to update once a booking is made :)

Check out the Juliet. They do seasonal trips out of Miami. Went 10-2015 for a 4 day trip and loved it. Great food, great people, great diving. Wish they would do more 4 day trips- most are for a week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom