Caribbean with non-diving spouse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dazedone

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking for a good spot in the Caribbean where I can do some diving where there is enough non-diving activity for me and my non-diving spouse.

One place know she wants to go to Cancun. I know Coz is close to there, but is there any good diving in the immediate Cancun area?

What other good spots that fit this bill are there?

Thanks!

Playa del Carmen reef diving and assumably Cancun is very accessible, which is nice if you're trying to get back to the significant other. What isn't nice is the reef itself. Maybe I'm spoiled by Cozumel diving, but the reef by the mainland is flat and boring.
Probably the best Caribbean destination I've been to that fits my diving and my non-diving wife's desires for quality time is Belize (Ambergris). If you stay at a place like Ramon's, you can step out of your room and be on the reef in minutes. They come back to the resort between each dive and you can walk into town to eat or whatever.
While the reef isn't as dramatic as Cozumel or the Caymans, you will probably see more big marine life than ever before and it blows away what is available from the Mexican mainland to the North.

ah... the non-diving spouse issue. I understand your problem. It depends on what you both like in terms of diving and land stuff.

If you want fairly inexpensive with great resorts and beaches and good diving look at the DR but make sure its the La Romana/Bayhibe area (south end) the other areas aren't recommend for good diving.

If you want great wreck diving and land activites but with only decent resorts and beaches for a bit more expense try Aruba.

We've been to both and both are great.

Get a new spouse... :wink:

Try St Lucia - very beautiful top-side, pretty good underneath. Anse Chastenet (sp?) is a wonderful, romantic resort (kinda pricey though).

Give us some clues about what the spouse might want to do - and how much time you want to spend apart (how many dives per day do you want to do?)

I'm with gj62 on this one. What is it with non-diving spouses??? duh!

p.s. I'd be surprised if anyone thought Roatan would be a good place for non-divers. most places are either too quiet or too buggy.

Scotty:
Aruba is the only way to go. You will enjoy.

My non-diving wife will never go back to Aruba.

How much diving do you want to do Dazedone?

Check out Curacao. If she is really laided back she might like Bonaire. It mostly depends on what she is wanting on vacation. You need to get her diving, maybe do what work for my boyfriend, go once without her. That's all it took, he was in Grand Cayman without me, never again. Diving is therapy for me, he is just plain addicted. We also enjoy time topside where ever in the world we go.

Back
Top Bottom