Carp and Catfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Guerrero

Contributor
Reaction score
So I'm going to checkout some local freshwater lakes for fish. I've seen carp while diving before and caught catfish on a line, and of course seen them just lying around on the bottom of lakes.

Anyway, anyone have any tips or things to avoid in shooting these things in lakes? I would think carp would be pretty straight forward since they swim around more like normal fish, but catfish are often just sitting on the bottom.

Check the laws. Catfish are gamefish in TX.

You are in the water with the fish. Handling a carp, is just a fish. You have to be careful when handling a cat out of water so that you do not run a spine through your hand. I imagine it is even more interesting in the water where Mr. Cat is slimy and you are wet and his body has some leverage by pushing against the water.

Check local laws on what you can or more importantly can't legally hunt with a spear. Both fish can get big, so a well placed shot is important to avoid being pulled about. Cats have spines so be wary when you go for their gills. As for eating, I recommend a 24 hour brine bath for both, in order to remove the muddy taste that is common with bottom feeders. After that, they both make for good eating.

Catfish is a non-game fish in AL. How do you prepare a brine bath? I've never noticed a muddy taste with catfish.

I'm not going to skin the catfish. I'm just going to cut the filets out from under the skin. I've skinned my share of them in the past and have no desire to do it again. The carp should be pretty easy, just need to get all the fat out. I think I will bleed them underwater too since no sharks to worry about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom