carry-on Vs. Checked luggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I normally carry-on anything that, if lost by the airlines, would ruin my multi-thousand dollar resort vacation. Since I particularly hate diving with rented gear, here is what I carry on:

short fins
mask in fin foot pocket
spare mask in other fin foot pocket
snorkel & keeper
pouch weight belt for freediving
freediving bag weights (8 lbs)
dive computer & compass
bottom timer as backup to computer
NDL dive tables as backup to computer
low-ankle booties
jon line
safety sausage & whistle
regulator assembly with twin 2nd stages, SPG, LP inflator
mask defogger
scuba tool
DIN-yoke adaptor
B/C disassembled and rolled up in 2 pieces (wings & vest)
dive skins folded
swimsuit
sunglasses & hat
logbook & passport & pen

It all fits nicely into one small carry-on bag.

I always carry on my reg, computer, camera and lights.

Bob

I travel a lot, both on business and when diving. Have broken down items into the carry-on catagory and the check catagory:

Carry-on:
Reg
Computer (dive and laptop)
Cameras

Check:
Everything else

I have big Armour rollie bags. Very strong and don't have dive flags or other stuff on them - they look like normal suitcases.

I cable tie the zippers together - effectively locking them. If the TSA folks want to examine the contents, they can break the cable ties and will replace them with TSA-branded cable ties. That way, you are reasonably confident that your bag hasn't been messed with prior to departing the airport.

If you collect your bag and the cable tie is missing, go directly to the airline representative and open the bag in front of them. This is the best way to start claim action to get your stuff back or replaced.

Leave clothes in checked baggage. If the clothes get routed to Detroit and you are in Cancun, it doesn't take much to buy swimsuits and a couple of tee-shirts.

Just my thoughts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom