carysfort trench(north key largo)dive report, monday 4/15/13, a few pics,,,,,,,,,

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
invited out yesterday with mike w. who's boat is stored @ the ocean reef club marina(north key largo). our intentions were to double on the wall @ biscayne national park(approx 6 miles north of carysfort light). viz was terrific but after dropping the hook in 105FT we decided the current was unmanagable as mike was shooting his nikon D800 for the 1st time(60mm lens). elected to cruise south and dive another rarely visited and relatively unspoiled site, carysfort trench. a double on mooring balls CT1 and CT2(the 2 buoys are located on the provided map just north of the spa boundary). sunshine, 1-2ft seas, light/mdt current, blue/green viz 40-50FT, water temp 76-77F @55-70FT. never made it over to the deeper section as my dive partner was diving on vodoo gas(air). a few pics from mike(pic 6 is an aerial view of carysfort from NOAA looking north from the lighthouse),,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 191
  • untitled1.jpg
    untitled1.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 208
  • untitled2.jpg
    untitled2.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 182
  • untitled3.jpg
    untitled3.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 168
  • untitled4.jpg
    untitled4.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 178
  • untitled5.jpg
    untitled5.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 184
  • untitled6.jpg
    untitled6.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
now that is a detailed and very informative trip report

Thanks for the Trip report, nice pics:dance2::uwphotographer:

Thanks for the Trip report, nice pics:dance2::uwphotographer:

thanks. more pics from mike down the line. forgot to add this elementary map of the trench and the 2 mooring buoys,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Attachments

• dive_s56.gif
    dive_s56.gif
    157.2 KB · Views: 312
I have heard a lot of good things about that reef. Do you know what charters go there on a regular basis?

I have heard a lot of good things about that reef. Do you know what charters go there on a regular basis?

none except for cristal clear charters based @ the ultra exlusionary ocean reef club(they primarily do snorkel charters). in the past ive observed silent world moored on south carysfort. no upper keys dive operation regulary visit carysfort reef tract. thats a fact. call ahead and hopefully work out a site specific trip to carysfort,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

invited out yesterday with mike w. who's boat is stored @ the ocean reef club marina(north key largo). our intentions were to double on the wall @ biscayne national park(approx 6 miles north of carysfort light). viz was terrific but after dropping the hook in 105FT we decided the current was unmanagable as mike was shooting his nikon D800 for the 1st time(60mm lens). elected to cruise south and dive another rarely visited and relatively unspoiled site, carysfort trench. a double on mooring balls CT1 and CT2(the 2 buoys are located on the provided map just north of the spa boundary). sunshine, 1-2ft seas, light/mdt current, blue/green viz 40-50FT, water temp 76-77F @55-70FT. never made it over to the deeper section as my dive partner was diving on vodoo gas(air). a few pics from mike(pic 6 is an aerial view of carysfort from NOAA looking north from the lighthouse),,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Was wondering if you could give the GPS coordinates of Carysfort Ledge. I had some off the web in the past and they turned out to be wrong. Also, is spearfishing and lobstering allowed there?

Was wondering if you could give the GPS coordinates of Carysfort Ledge. I had some off the web in the past and they turned out to be wrong. Also, is spearfishing and lobstering allowed there?

the dropoff @ carysfort extends from the trench to about 3 miles south of carysfort lighthouse. all you need is a decent depth sounder to find the ledge/dropoff which begins in about 40-50FT and bottoms out @ 70-95FT. there are a few mooring balls abeam the tower that have easy access to the ledge. no spearfishing in the area south from the whistle buoy all the way to molasses including carysfort. lobstering is permitted north of carysfort trench but not within the carysfort sanctuary preservation area(SPA) about 3-4 miles north and south of the tower. a simple answer to your collecting question is NO with a few excceptions!! here's two useful links for lobstering and spearfishing in Monroe county,,,,,,,,,

http://fishfloridakeys.com/Lobster_Brochure.pdf

http://myfwc.com/media/1483467/Lobster_Brochure_Spearfishing.pdf

reefman
key largo

Nice report buddy! I'd love to do that dive with you some day :D

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom