Case for G10 / Ikelite box / DS51 flash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jefm

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm curious how people transport their G10 rig. I've had the aforementioned setup for a couple weeks and get it to the quarries in a plastic file box stuffed with shirts. I might want to take it to Mexico in a couple weeks, the file box is not going to cut it.
I've laid the stuff out and all Pelican cases seem too big or too small. Ikelite makes a case which is basically a 1600 with pre-cutout foam. I've never been on a real dive trip before and a 1600 seems like a big thing to be dragging along, especially since I'll have all my own gear to fight with anyway (bcd wetsuit reg etc).

I wonder if the best combo is a modified 1600 with a lightweight camera bag or daypack packed in there. This way the camera can survive the flight and you can pack it into the little bag to quickly pull the cam out of/mush into on the boat. How do you all handle this? I don't want to be a pain in the butt on my first dive jaunt, as someone who's shot pro gigs and done motion picture work I can safely say cameras are a pain in the butt :}

In hong kong, divers normally just put all the dive gears in a big dive trolley bag and weight total must be less then 15-25kgs for international flights.

then use a professional Lowe pro backpack which is with protector partition inside, with all DSLR/ hosuing/ lenses/ ports/ netbook/ strobes......... everything on their back. that is usually 10-12kgs.

after the trip....you may need few more days to take a rest. :p

Here is what I do...I use a Pelican 1600 case. I drag this around in my truck and to dive sights. But, I do not carry it on a boat...way to big. When I am going on a boat dive, I set my camera up before getting on boat, and place it in my dry bag with towel and other stuff. That way I can get it out with no problem.

Here is a picture of my case...I pack extra sync cables, a battery tester, etc. I try to keep all my camera stuff in one place.

fc41dc31.jpg

I'm curious how people transport their G10 rig. I've had the aforementioned setup for a couple weeks and get it to the quarries in a plastic file box stuffed with shirts. I might want to take it to Mexico in a couple weeks, the file box is not going to cut it.
I've laid the stuff out and all Pelican cases seem too big or too small. Ikelite makes a case which is basically a 1600 with pre-cutout foam. I've never been on a real dive trip before and a 1600 seems like a big thing to be dragging along, especially since I'll have all my own gear to fight with anyway (bcd wetsuit reg etc).

I wonder if the best combo is a modified 1600 with a lightweight camera bag or daypack packed in there. This way the camera can survive the flight and you can pack it into the little bag to quickly pull the cam out of/mush into on the boat. How do you all handle this? I don't want to be a pain in the butt on my first dive jaunt, as someone who's shot pro gigs and done motion picture work I can safely say cameras are a pain in the butt :}

Here's what I've been using for my G10 setup - it's cheap, fits right, works perfect for me... btw,I got the YS110a and tray/arm from nyxell on ebay, i'm pleased.

IMG_4153.jpg

Don't laugh.....I use a rolling scrap booking case I carry my 'puter and my entire rig in one rolling case. I bought small kitchen wire shelves and turned it into a multi level organizerI can post a picture if you are interested but it kinda looks like this..Crop In Style? NaNavigator Rolling Tote
weighs about 35 pounds with everything. Easy to pull the laptop out for flight checkin..

I have an Olympus C5050 (which I am seriously considering upgrading to a Canon G10- but that's another story..) which is mounted in an Ikelite box and travels along with TWO D125 strobes and all the attendant stuff in a Pelican 1510 case with the movable divider inserts. Sure, it's tight, but everything goes in, and the lid closes and locks. This is maximum size for airline carryon, and it has gone all over heck with me and shown no signs of difficulty.(except with the airport screeners, who routinely go nuts when they see this on x-ray. I have come to expect it:popcorn:) I am pretty sure the G10 in an Ikelite case (with dual handles, like mine) would be the same dimensions, and would fit in the same way. Just a suggestion. Woody

I've been rolling my gear (G9, Ike housing, DS125 & A95, WP-DC50) in a Samsonite soft-sided, carry-on sized bag. I always get the hankering to "look the part" with one of those Pelican cases and custom fitted pick-n-pluck foam until I check one out and my LDS and feel the heft of it empty much less the heft in price. Along with the 2 cameras, housings, strobes and batteries, chargers, sync cords and arms that complement it, I'm able to get 2 reg sets in there, dive log, reef-id, fish-id books along with other reading material and 3 days worth of clothes. It tips the scales at about 50lbs but no one at the airport needs to know that! I know as long as I'm handling, it's contents will be in good shape.

I use a pelican case for my G9, Canon housing, and strobes / arms. Pelican is the way to go. They are pricey, but think about what they are protecting. Worth every cent.

Pelican, Pelican, Pelican.
If you can afford it they are "simply the best".
I use one for my Canon and also for my big UW Video rig.
They also float, as I found out when mine was knocked off a diveboat in the Red Sea!
Not cheap but worth it for the protection.
T

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom