CAT hulled inflatable????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have been looking at these and I think it's a great idea for a fast dive boat for two or three also as a sail boat tender/exploration craft. Im thinking the cat hull would be more beachable that a regular blow up boat, track better and be more fuel effecent. What Im wondering is if anyone has one or has first hand experence in one?What did you think? BTW the 15 footer not shown is the one Im looking at.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...220789/0/0/cat/All_2/mode+matchallpartial/0/0

I like it, Zodiac has a similar Raid model but not as promounced cat type hull. There are other cat inflatables. All non rigid inflatables are highly beachable and most including mine has landing gear that can be raised, lowered or removed entirely for launching from shore nd landing back onto shore. N

Im thnking it just might be the best of both worlds. I'll look at the Zodiac.

The only thing Im finding is something called "speed tubes".... No pic shown. You wouldn't happen to have a pic of your would you?

In England and Europe they race a similar RIB called a Zapcat. The pics of this look pretty wild.

I would imagine that these don't perform too well when loaded to capacity but I can't say for certain. As a yacht tender they are probably nice because of the low towing resistance.

Just google zapcat racing and you will find plenty of crazy pics of these things.

I was not recommending the Zodiac over the boat in your link, just adding another choice. The one I am thinking of is the Futura. It is not as much a catamaran type as a multi chamber bottom. N

The FUtura is the one with the speed tubes. Another good Idea. Id sure like to find someone who has this CAT boat to find out if it's gimmick or a great idea.....

I went to there web site and those boats are wild! May be the best dive platform ever! Uh oh, I feel my bank acct getting skinny.... Im looking for prices now.

This design has been around a long time. I saw them in the UK back in the early 90s. They do help. I would guess you really need to make sure nothing gets between the layers of rubber to cause wearing. Such as sand if you beach it. Just make sure you wash out any areas that may collect sand. Also if you really want to see what designs are out there. Check out http://www.ribevents.com/site/ The UK has so many inflatable designers you would be amazed at what is out there. They even have a big RIB show every year. I've used plnety of inflatables and RIBs and I'll never go back to basic Inflatables. comfort, speed, fuel, space is much better in a RIB. That's if you have use of trailer launching if not then the inflatables are the way to go.

I've been kicking around the idea of designing and building a rigid inflatable "cat" for the purpose of diving. In power boating the term "cat" or "catamaran" is generally reserved for stern drive and the term "tunnel hull" is for outboard power. Anyhow, the problem that existes with either is that they are designed with a specific load in mind to " fly " it. Anything less and they really do fly...with not good results !!! It's called a "blow-over" and believe me it's no fun !! LOL I've been designing and building in-board hydroplanes for too long now and have built 5 world record holding boats recognized by ABPA , CBF and UIM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom