Catalina dive report 9/16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

socaldiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I really felt guilty today going diving when there is so much pain and misery being felt around the world, but I felt I had to try to get back to some sort of life. Making that first giant stride off the boat and descending put me in a safe and beautiful world that we all have come to know and love. I just want to share the day's experience and please forgive me if this offends anyone.

Boarded the Aquatica at 4 this morning grabbed a bunk and caught a few hours winks before the boat departed at 7. We made our way to the first dive site off Catalina, Grace's Point. My dive buddy and me descended to about 40 fsw and just moved in and out of the rocks and kelp admiring all the different marine life out and about. Played peek a boo with a couple lobster in the rocks and when it was time to head back towards the boat. On the way back we noticed a small bat ray laying in the sand. He was about 3 feet wide. when we got closer to the ray it took off like a bat out of hell (pardon the pun). we navigated our way back to the boat and ascended. Max depth was 40 fsw, 41 minutes, surface temp was 66 and 64 at depth. I was wearing my 3 mil and I must admit it seemed a little "brisk" at first.

After about a 1 1/2 hour surface interval we did our second dive at Helen's Cove. Again we descended but I was having a hard time equalizing for some reason so we didn't get any deeper than 30 fsw. We played around in the rocks again just checking out the inhabitants. Came across a goby that I was able to get close to and was snaping some shots of it, it was a grayish white with BIG black eyes. I was so absorbed with watching it that I didn't notice the biggest garibaldi I have ever seen almost in my face staring me down. I was obviously very close to it's nest and he was irritated and getting ready to defend it. We were swimming back towards the direction of the boat when we were swamped by thousands of ancovies just swimming around. Talk about something that can take your mind off your troubles. We made it back to the boat and were sitting on the bottom looking up towards the boat when we spotted a school of opaleyes. They had to be taking steroids, they were huge. Probably about 5 to 6 lbs I would guess. I have never seen opaleyes this big. We ascended to 15 fsw for our safety stop then surfaced. 35 minutes, max depth30 fsw, surface temp was 70 and 68 at depth.

Didn't do a 3rd dive. I was exhausted from only getting about 2 1/2 hours sleep the night before and my ears were plugged. I will get my pics developed tomorrow and will hopefully have posted tomorrow night.

It was quite refreshing and definitely needed to do these dives today but I still feel guilty.

Thoughts and prayers to everyone.

No worries! Don't feel guilty. Life must go on, no matter what happens. I got out today as well, though not diving. We went to the classic car show in San Bernandino. The fire department put on a nice show, and then collected over $100,000 in proceeds for NY disaster relief. I gave what I could, so I felt much better about going. It was a very Patriotic, tear filling time, where people were waving flags, screaming, singing and doing whatever we all could to show the world how we felt. I'll work on getting some still out of the video we took :)

Back
Top Bottom