Cato's Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is this the bridge next to the lighthouse?
It's going to be completely shut down for well over a year. All the charter boats (dive & fishing) that all depart from the docks directly across from the lighthouse are more than a little upset because of the giant detour. When finished,,,it's going to look incredible & HUGE

Jup_Bridge2023.jpg

Since they have also closed the main US1 bridge in Jupiter too for 15 months, might be able to sneak in a dive near there. LOL !!
I’ve thought about it! Lots of boat traffic still comes under the main span and there is a TON of heavy equipment at the site. You’d have to be careful if you tried it.

I've dove the bridge at Lighthouse before. It's a smallish site, but not so small that it can't entertain 10 divers. The issue with the site is the current. Park at the lighthouse museum, there's easy entry to the water. Time getting in 30-45 minutes before HT, have some fun exploring, and the outbound current after HT will dictate how long you can stay. I logged 1h:24min. It's definitely not BHB, but worth doing on occasion to mix up dive sites. There was a group of us that played with diving here and for many of us, we were 1 and done, and happy to have experienced the dive site.

I've dove the bridge at Lighthouse before. It's a smallish site, but not so small that it can't entertain 10 divers. The issue with the site is the current. Park at the lighthouse museum, there's easy entry to the water. Time getting in 30-45 minutes before HT, have some fun exploring, and the outbound current after HT will dictate how long you can stay. I logged 1h:24min. It's definitely not BHB, but worth doing on occasion to mix up dive sites. There was a group of us that played with diving here and for many of us, we were 1 and done, and happy to have experienced the dive site.
I've snorkeled the US-1 bridge before for work. The tide exchange is no joke; doing seagrass quadrats near the U-Tiki docks I had to stand on the quadrat while the other biologist hung onto my ankles to do the percent cover counts. We needed to work from a boat in case someone got swept off. There's about a 2-hour window around slack and then after that it rips. Kind of a moot point with the construction though - diving near crane barges and underwater pile driving is not my idea of fun.

Haven't done Cato's, but I know the issue with that a couple years ago was the attempt to put a slow-speed zone in the Jupiter Narrows. Last I checked, FWC approved it but had to backtrack after the marine industry lobbyists sued (heaven forbid it take people an extra eight minutes or so to get from Jupiter Pointe to the inlet). The FWC commissioner who used to live there called it "a hot mess" on the weekends.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom