Cave diving course in California?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Btw There is a S&R and Deep dive scenario for the DM canididacy where the S&R and Deep specialties are acceptable if the diver has that prior to DM training but that is all as far as specialties are concerned. A lot of good info has been stated thus far. Start taking overhead courses if you wish to venture into the overhead, you won't regret it :)

First- that vide was deceiving..., it looked like there was air inside. Nothing breathe able

Second. Wow! Who told me I needed 3 specialties to start dm. Good news. That was one of my biggest complaints with PADI.

Third. Defend PADI all you want I've seen enough to dislike them. Not sure what you expect me to "learn about them first" to change that. I had an entire thread about them vs the others. I don't like "putting another dollar in" (hundreds)for little bs "specialties" that are damn near common sense.

Fourth. That sucks there are no good training places here. Almost moved to Florida for CDA but found out that was a rip off too. Maybe I'll just go do a cave class there.

And fifth. I dive solo a lot. I can't imagine paying someone to teach me how to do something alone. I'm afraid to even ask what that costs and what they teach.

There are multiple good tech instructors in CA, though not much cave.

The PADI solo course (which is called self-reliant diver) is a 2 day course. Covers a bunch of more advanced dive planning stuff, but not that advanced. It wasn't too bad and I learned something. But you also need 100 dives to take it.

With this course your choice of instructor determine what you can get out of it.

The reason to take it isn't so much to learn how, it's to have a card that avoids instabuddy on a boat if you want.

Last edited:
The reason to take it isn't so much to learn how, it's to have a card that avoids instabuddy on a boat if you want.
Hmm haven't had that issue yet. I pay for a boat ride. If they ate going to try to make me be glued to someone I'll take my money elsewhere. I usually just take off and do my thing. Unless it's something I'm not very familiar with like a night dive. 99.9999% of all my diving is done in the ocean since I'm so close though.

And fifth. I dive solo a lot. I can't imagine paying someone to teach me how to do something alone. I'm afraid to even ask what that costs and what they teach.
WOW.... I feel a little offended... OK I'm over it... YOUR obvious lack of redundant equipment says all that needs to be said... if you are going to dive SOLO... you really need to take a class.... doesn't have to be PADI though doesn't really matter what agency the instructor is who makes the class... You don't know what you don't know until you need to know it and its to late.... pay the $$ for the class, then you can thank us later for suggesting it.... it would be better $$ spent than getting your DM anyway... unless you already have a job lined up it is wasted money....

WOW.... I feel a little offended... OK I'm over it... YOUR obvious lack of redundant equipment says all that needs to be said... if you are going to dive SOLO... you really need to take a class.... doesn't have to be PADI though doesn't really matter what agency the instructor is who makes the class... You don't know what you don't know until you need to know it and its to late.... pay the $$ for the class, then you can thank us later for suggesting it.... it would be better $$ spent than getting your DM anyway... unless you already have a job lined up it is wasted money....
Hahaha that's really cool how you know what I need, my experience level, and capabilities. Thanks for the concern but I think I can manage.

Just to freak you out more I went into that vast cavern alone with only one flashlight and no backup reg! Gasp! The insanity!!!

Yeah... not really the attitude to have if you want to be a DM.
I'm paying to dive and explore the ocean. Not for s club med guided tour.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom