Cave Excusions/Sidemount.com

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The closest place I've found to camp is at Jim Hollis' River Rendevous. It is a bizzare place, but they are nice people.

I prefer DiveOutpost over Rennaker because the staff is more friendly and more willing to help.

I used James Hurley www.extendedrange.com for instruction, he is on the exploration committee for the NACD and is very thorough, he does side mount as well.

good luck!

I have used Dive Outpost when I can get to Fl. Cathy is great and easy going. I used Terrence Tysall for my cave class - best training you can take.

Eric

Yup! sometimes when you have Long hikes to the divesite, lots of climbing and such, Sidemounting is the most stable way to carry gas. We used to dive a lot of backcountry type lakes, you can only 4x4 so far, then it's foot power....

and it's fun to watch people stare....

Willer

Cave Excursions is definitely the place to call home while you're training in the area. Bill Rennaker is a great instructor, and still does a fair amount of exploration diving. He's been in just about every cave in Florida - and he's the guy to ask if you want to know about one of those out of the way caves, or sidemount.

I'll also have to second a couple other recommendations.

Wendy recommended Jill Heinerth. I did some of my training with Paul Heinerth, and Jill helped out for part of the course. Both are excellent instructors. They both do lots of exploration diving - most of it in Mexico caves. I'm pretty sure they both do SOME sidemount...but not as much as backmount or rebreather.

Izajane recommended James Hurley. James is the head of the exploration and survey for the NACD. He is currently qualified to teach Cavern and Intro to Cave through NSS, and all the way through Full Cave with NACD. He just needs to do the next "crossover" to NSS(to teach Apprentice and Full for NSS), which I think they only do once a year. James dives mostly sidemount, though would of course dive backmount while instructing. James has several exploration and survey projects going right now - see his website(http://www.extendedrange.com) for specific info.

As for a place to stay....well, if you really want to camp, you could camp out near Telford Springs for free(but don't leave anything unattended there - break down camp each day), which is only a couple minute drive from Cave Excursions. You could also camp at Jim Hollis River Rendezvous, which is about 15-20 minutes away. Bill Rennaker has several mobile homes that he rents out - but unless you have at least two people, it's somewhat cost prohibitive(I think a minimum of $40 a night for the trailer, and I think that's for up to 4 people) - plus they are usually reserved far in advance. Call him for details on that. Cathy at the Dive Outpost rents beds out for, I think, $19 a night. There are several beds per room, so you may be sharing a room with up to 3 other people, or you may have it to yourself. There are two trailers, a cabin, and two rooms on the back of the dive shop with beds in 'em...probably around 20 beds total. Don't consider this place if you are allergic to animals. Be advised....Cathy is generally not happy if you stay with her but get your gas from Bill(generally half the cost), but I don't think she says anything about it to people anymore. If you have a couple people, you can also consider the Best Western motel up in Live Oak(20-25 minute drive from Luraville). Rennaker has a special rate with them - $45 a night including tax for up to 4 people. You have to get a card from Bill to get that rate. There are lots of places to eat in the vicinity of the hotel(even in the middle of the night) - whereas the others have limited dining nearby, and they all close fairly early.

Mike

Cave Excusions. I am taking sidemount with Bill next month. I've been using CE's services for over two years now. You can't beat the price or the expertise that is there for the asking. I was recommended to CE and crew by Harry Averill. NUF SAID.

Divesherpa once bubbled...

I would not recommend Michael O'leary as posted by Cave Diver!

Cheers

I don't want to start a debate, but I can't let this pass without comment. I took my cave training from Michael O'leary. True, he is definitely not DIR, but I feel that I received excellent training. I believe Michael is a very good instructor. If you look at some of the maps in the area, his name is one at least one as a primary explorer (Peacock III, I believe). He has thousands of cave dives under his belt, and is the international safety officer for NACD. My gear was set up DIR, and he told me his reasons for not liking it, but listened to mine for liking it, and in no way tried to change my gear configuration. He greeted and talked in a friendly manner to several DIR instructors in the area when we ran into them. He did not critisize them or make negative comments about them as others do, and obviously respected their ability. David Rhea was among the folks that he obviously knew very well.

Frankly, the only problem I had initially with Michael; I had been warned ahead of time that he is very critical. I noticed that he went over mistakes four times in the water before getting out, and four times on land afterwards. He repeated drills that were not satisfactory. I had been told by other students of his that they couldn't take the critisism he deals out.

On the other hand, if there is any area where I want to totally understand my mistakes, it's in cave diving. I believe critisism and repetition are necessary for good learning of this very mental and physical skill.

I don't know if you have had some personal experience with him or not, sherpa, but I respectfully have to disagree about this one.

On the other hand, if you want a DIR instructor, you need to get someone else. I was familiar with DIR style and philosophy and prefer DIR methods, but I thought it would be interesting to learn from such a pioneer as Michael O'Leary.

Dive Outpost: Bunks are $17 I believe. A honeymoon cabin is available for $35, that's where I stay, even though I'm not on a honeymoon. In considering cost, keep in mind that you have to pay for camping too, so the difference is pretty small.

A nitrox fill at Dive outpost is $12 for doubles. At Cave Excursions, they fill by the cubic foot. Taking a set of doubles from 2200 psi to 3500 psi was a little over $8.

I am not willing to stay with Cathy and get my fills from Bill. I just pay the extra for the extra service. For example, Cathy calls around to see what restaraunts are open, helps with little equipment problems at no cost, and is just generally a great person.

Bill is quite a guy too. I may take sidemount from him in a few months when I'm ready.

His mobile homes look good too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom