Question Caves Close to International Airports Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Underwater Tourist

Contributor
Reaction score
I will be finishing my full cave in late October in MX and right now I am researching places where I can get more cave hours.

Looking for:
- sites suitable for a beginner
- located within 2h drive from one of the blue circles (I am based in Toronto so will be flying in for a weekend to dive and back)

Do such exist?

P.S. Will also be looking for a buddy eventually
1663731377689.png

Ginnie Springs - High Springs, FL (2 hours)
Peacock Springs - Live Oak/Mayo, FL (between 2.5-3 hours from Orlando International)
Little River Spring - O'Brien, FL (2 hours 40 minutes)
Madison Blue Springs - Madison, FL (3 hours)

Not really unless you fly into GNV or JAX. GNV is a short trip from Charlotte or Atlanta depending on carrier. There are caves nearer to Tampa, but they are very much not suitable for new cave divers. Marianna is just under a 2hr drive from PNS, but PNS isn’t served direct by the carrier you have selected above.

TLDR unfortunately not

Here’s a map of the north central Florida dive and cave sites - because of where the aquifer is, there are a couple springs (but not great beginner cave options) under the two hour mark from Orlando/Tampa:

Local Dive Sites – Google My Maps

As others have noted, you *can* fly into Gainesville from Atlanta etc, which puts you a couple hours closer.

Fly into Orlando or tampa. (Tampa is a much better airport to deal with). 2 hour drive from tampa to high springs area for most caves. You can then drive a few more hours to Marianna if you like.

Yes, found High Springs that are just on the 2h drive mark from Orland, but everything else is over 2h

Was really looking to squeeze in under 2h
My wife and I live just outside of tampa. We dive ion sundays usually. We wake up early, drive up, dive, and drive home. Don’t let the drive scare you. Stay in high springs and you have easy access to caves.

Not really unless you fly into GNV or JAX. GNV is a short trip from Charlotte or Atlanta depending on carrier. There are caves nearer to Tampa, but they are very much not suitable for new cave divers. Marianna is just under a 2hr drive from PNS, but PNS isn’t served direct by the carrier you have selected above.

TLDR unfortunately not
GNV and JAX would be ideal, the problem is there are no direct flights from Toronto. A connecting flight doubles the price and travel time which puts a question on going to FL in the first place (as I can go to MX with the ~same travel time, cheaper prices, and better caves).

So looks like Orlando or Tampa are the only options

GNV and JAX would be ideal, the problem is there are no direct flights from Toronto. A connecting flight doubles the price and travel time which puts a question on going to FL in the first place (as I can go to MX with the ~same travel time, cheaper prices, and better caves).

So looks like Orlando or Tampa are the only options
That's why I never recommend GNV or JAX. The flights are exceptionally limited or the price jacks up like crazy. TPA and MCO are the only realistic options. If you went to get in and out of the airport fastest, go with Tampa. Tampa by far is a better run airport with less headaches.

That's why I never recommend GNV or JAX. The flights are exceptionally limited or the price jacks up like crazy. TPA and MCO are the only realistic options. If you went to get in and out of the airport fastest, go with Tampa. Tampa by far is a better run airport with less headaches.
Got it, thank you.

Was also hoping there would be some less popular caves close to TPA and MCO, but looks like they don't exist either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom