Cayman Aggressor - Channel Crossing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The late October week we were on the Cayman Aggressor we made the crossing, but they said they hadn't for several weeks before. And I know they didn't make it the week after as we were still on island and saw them around. The nice thing about being on the Aggressor was, we spent more time on sites a bit further away from LCBR that they don't seem to get to much, plus of course we were doing 5 a day instead of 3. For example, LCBR used to do night dives at The Meadows when Molly the Manta was around, but that was night only and once she was gone I'm not sure we ever went to that site again from land. We did it a few times from the Aggressor and it's a really great site. Don't have my log handy but I remember generally getting to spend more time at better places there.

Obviously flying to little Cayman is a more reliable way of getting there. (Although as it's been discussed on similar threads, if the weather is snotty enough to prevent the Aggressor from getting to Little Cayman, it may also be snotty enough to prevent the dayboats on little Cayman from getting around to Bloody Bay wall.) So while there's always a chance of the Aggressor not making the crossing, you do get something extra if you win the gamble - some different and IMO better sites, and of course more dives than land based. Not that I don't like LCBR, been there at least 6 times, but there were advantages to a being on a liveaboard there. Even if you're stuck on GC, there is some advantage to the liveaboard. The usual - on average more dives on better sites than land based, even with the best land ops. And if the weather is a problem they can stay on whatever side of the island is best at the time. You might also see the liveaboard as a good value for Cayman.

(For the record I don't get seasick and enjoy that sort of crossing like a fun amusement park ride, so that part doesn't play into the equation for me.)

If the same sort of boats can make the 24 hour crossing from Cabo to Socorro the CA could make the crossing from GC to LC if they wanted too. They don't want to, probably saves them a ton in fuel costs and helps the bottom line. Just my 2 cents.

I really didn't get the sense they don't want to, I got the sense they were really trying. Possibly a matter of expectations and opportunity. People go on a Socorro liveaboard expecting a serious crossing for sure - and if they didn't cross what would they do instead? Anyone who has done their research about the Cayman Aggressor will be prepared for a crossing that might be rough, or might not happen. Possibly the ops idea of what will be safe or ok for most customers is a little conservative - maybe it's partly a Cayman thing. And if they don't cross, there is still really good diving to be done, so a bit less incentive to cross no matter what.

We did the crossing to LC during the day which kind of ticked me off. The reason given was when done at night, people don't get any sleep and many don't dive the next day. I don't really buy that plus it's illogical - instead he was guaranteeing NO ONE dove THAT day. (The cynical side of me says the captain wanted to sleep rather than cross at night. But then, there were a lot of things that particular captain did that bugged me.)

We did the crossing to LC during the day which kind of ticked me off. The reason given was when done at night, people don't get any sleep and many don't dive the next day. I don't really buy that plus it's illogical - instead he was guaranteeing NO ONE dove THAT day.

Was that Captain Alan? I would have been very ticked also to have crossed during the day. Did you loose a whole day of diving?

I think so. We may have gotten in 1 or 2 dives, I forget if we dove in the am then crossed, or crossed then got in something late. Definitely missed at least some dives.

My honest opinion....
The Cayman Aggressor will spend the majority of it's time at Little Cayman, on the Bloody Bay wall, which is where one will find the best diving in the Caribbean. Save some money and enjoy Little Cayman with 3 dives a day, three very good meals a day, a very nice, large, modern room, and the very best service, by staying at Little Cayman Beach Resort. It's a much better value for the money, and you don't have to be concerned with crossing 80 miles of rough seas.

Excellent advice! The best diving in the Caymans is along Little Cayman. Why spend more money to go on the CA knowing you may not even make it to Little Cayman. The Caymans is one place I would not do a liveaboard.

I've been on the boat three times, January, end of May/June, and July and made the crossing all three times, though on the July trip it was super rough!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom