cayman trip in december questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajim311

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, so i will be traveling to cayman in december for 1 week and i'm very excited!!!
I'll be staying at the reef resort on the east end and most likely diving with of.
So my wife likes to dive but doesn't wanna dive the whole time. My question is is it worth it to do some shore diving on the west end or to look into one day with a dive op on the west end?

Also we will be renting a car and will be checking out the turtle farm, doin kayaking at rum point, defintely stingray city and hiking the mastic trail. Is there anymore must see/do topside excursions?

is this the right place to ask these questions?
Maybe i didin't make it too clear. Are any dive sites on the west end worth the hassle of wakin up early dragging the wife along, driving to the other side of the island, lugging our gear and either making reservations with a dive op or doing a shore dive? Or will i be perfectly content with just diving with ocean frontiers on the east end and not have to hassle with that stuff?

If your wife does not want to dive all the time, she will probably want to spend some time on Seven Mile beach. In that case, you can do some dives with operators in that area and will need a car to get to George Town/Seven Mile beach. There are lots of great dive sites out west and out from seven mile.

I recommend to all my friends who come to the island to get a car, at least for 1-2 days since you will miss lots of great things if you stay in the same place/no car the whole time.

Hope this helps.

My 2c

M.

I wouldn't wake up early or make a special trip to the West end just to dive, especially on a 1 week trip. Ocean Frontiers is a great op and the diving is for the most part best on the East end of the island. So IMO why go to the trouble for what will probably be lesser diving, or at least no better. (One thing about Ocean Frontiers - they are rather full service. They take your gear off the boat when you're done for the day, rinse it for you, hang suits to dry, and return it to the boat next time you are diving. It's almost a shame to mess up that routine by hauling your gear elsewhere. :crafty: )

It's different if someone really wants to cart their gear around the island and do various shore dive spots due to preference, to save money, to get in more dives, just has to do a west boat and see that area to feel complete, or whatever. But since you use the word "hassle" I'm guessing that's not you. (Me neither.)

But if you're going to drive west for shopping or sightseeing anyway and you can work it in might be worth it. The shore diving at Turtle Reef, right by the turtle farm, is very good and convenient so you might combine those into a day trip. Do the farm, dive, eat at the Cracked Conch. If your wife doesn't want to dive all the time, there's much be said for doing the morning 2 tank with OF, then head off for the afternoon/evening for lunch/exploring/dinner. Maybe do a couple afternoon boats with OF if you want to dive more and your wife would like to hang by the pool with a rum drink - the Reef is a good place for that.

cool, thanks for the advice, the hassel wouldn't be so much on my part but i'd have to hear my wife complain, especially if its not any beter than the east end, "we could have slept in and still seen the same thing" :) and i do really like the cleaning/lugging gear service OF offers, so i will plan on doin most diving with them. Thanks

oh this also will be my first tropical diving so i'm pretty sure any diving will be great i just wanted to make sure there isn't anything i COULDN'T miss if i do most/all diving on the east end.

Sounds like you'll do walls, shallow reefs and stingray city as is, so stay at "home" and enjoy. The reef is a good place for a relaxing vacation. Personally, we do a bit of shore diving on the other side of the island, but it's for financial reasons rather than a diving preference.

Have fun!!!

Done it many times in Dec it can be a little surgy close to shore and the wind can come out of the North that time a year making the North side a challenge! But the South side and East are perfect during northern blows! I have been on the North Side in Dec when it was 8 to 10ft and 35 knots! You can dive it but hold on! The West End is almost always good and there is some great diving on the west end from shore! The Mermaid at Sunset House, Smith Cove, Cemetery Reef, Turtle Reef, and a Bunch more! The problem is you will have great diving close by: Tunnel of love is one of my favorites!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom