Cayman Went - the Movie About Cayman Brac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've finally had the chance to watch "Cayman Went" the 2009 independent film that was primarily filmed on Cayman Brac. I had previously seen references to it but didn't know much about it. Someone here on SB mentioned it again recently and I decided look for it. I found a used "very good condition" copy of the dvd on ebay for around $10 including shipping.

It arrived quickly and it actually was in very good condition! My husband and I watched it and we both really enjoyed it. It is a small, quiet film, with a subtle sense of humor; but the real star of the movie are the gorgeous above/below water scenes of Cayman Brac.

It's the story of a B-List Actor who is the star of a TV series called "Diver Down" - but he is secretly afraid of the ocean! His ratings are failing but the show is still popular on Cayman Brac. The giant corporation that owns his network has big plans to build a huge resort on Cayman Brac, but one of the landowners (struggling to fix up and open a Bed and Breakfast called "Cayman Went") refuses to sell his property. So the corporation sends the actor down to Brac to turn on the charm and convince the guy to sell.

The movie includes lots of shots of the beautiful Cayman Brac island and some familiar locations like The Captain's Table restaurant. La Esperanza has been converted into a bar and restaurant called The Sand Bar. The Brac Heritage House is the setting for the Cayman Went B&B. InDepth Watersports from Grand Cayman provided the diving and underwater support for the film; and a few scenes were filmed at Boatswain's Beach on Grand Cayman. There are some gorgeous underwater sequences including scenes of the Tibbetts wreck. Some of the locals appear in the film, mostly in background shots.

Below are some links for the trailer and information about the film. The last link is for the entire film streaming online on vimeo, but the quality is just okay.

https://www.traileraddict.com/cayman-went/trailer

https://www.caymancompass.com/2008/09/30/cayman-went-comes-brac/

https://www.caymancompass.com/2007/11/27/cayman-went-in-cayman-brac/

https://vimeo.com/89992516

Full movie on vimeo, quality is just okay:
https://vimeo.com/104722556

About Cayman Went:

"TV personality Josh Anders (Michael Lombardi) is a legend in his own mind … and even he has doubts. Ratings are down and the hottie star of Diver Down (a male Baywatch) can’t get arrested in Hollywood these days. When the smug pretty boy receives an ultimatum from an ultra-wealthy, powerful and unethical resort developer – who also happens to own the network that broadcasts his show – Josh finds himself the key player in a land grab scheme targeting the picturesque, unspoiled and tiny Caribbean island of Cayman Brac.The laid-back locals, most of them big fans, are putty in his hands, except for the eccentric Mr. Bowman, a cranky retiree who’s never even heard of the show. Secretly petrified of the ocean, Josh just wants to close the deal and go home. That is until Mr. Bowman, a parentless kid named Rodney and Darby Thomas (Susan Misner), the beautiful but opinionated owner of the local Sand Bar, change his mind about what really matters most. A romantic drama that proves It’s all good … if you just know what to look for."

Cool..maybe I’ll shoot a sequel come January.....Rich NYer heading to Brac to build high rises, golf course and of course, a McD,’s and a car wash...I’ll take the leading role and have open auditions for the leading lady....I feel the juices flowing...get me a pencil!

If there are any single women on the island portrayed in the movie, I call, "Bullsh*t!!" :D

I was the envy of other instructors because I found a girl willing to fly over once a week from Grand Cayman.

Small detail - I believe that at the time the movie was filmed InDepth Watersports was a Brac only operation. I know Nat (the current owner) told me he bought the brand and the boat(s) and relocated them to GC.

I saw the movie - definitely in the "light drama" category.

Small detail - I believe that at the time the movie was filmed InDepth Watersports was a Brac only operation. I know Nat (the current owner) told me he bought the brand and the boat(s) and relocated them to GC.

I saw the movie - definitely in the "light drama" category.

That makes sense, I know that In Depth Watersports is currently located on GC but I didn't know that they had previously been on Brac, thanks!

I agree, but it was a pleasant little movie and it was a lot of fun to see all the scenes of Brac.

I believe In Depth was started by Craig Burhart (sp?) who was previously a boat captain for Reef Divers on Brac. In Depth was operating from the Divi dock and facilities prior to Paloma and moved to GC sometime not long after that.

ETA - Just did a little googling, and Craig was apparently the Chief Technical Advisor for the dive scenes in the movie.

I was the one that mentioned it.

Glad everyone likes it. I actually came across it by accident in a blockbuster blue box dvd vending machine, several years ago. At the time, I had no idea about Cayman Brac. It wasn’t actually that movie that led us to start going down there, but rather someone else that had discovered the island by accident. After they mentioned their trip, I rewatched the movie and made the connection.

We watch it before we go down there every trip.

Can someone tell me what kind of turtles are shown nesting on the beach at 1:26 near the end of the movie at the link below? Are they Green Turtles?

That was an interesting watch! Movie had a bit of everything in it. Can’t wait to hike the bluffs come January!

Thanks for posting!

Can someone tell me what kind of turtles are shown nesting on the beach at 1:26 near the end of the movie at the link below? Are they Green Turtles?

Here is the picture.
421E3A24-4A5B-4A15-A201-4575EC6FC9F9.jpeg
Green turtle.. they have 2 plates between eyes. Hawksbill has 4. Young green and hawksbill look the same. Only place to really see Greens on Brac is the East end grass flats or around the dock area South west end. I have seen one at Sylvia’s, but the dive operators call anything on the reef Hawksbill. You have to visually ID the plates on young ones to differentiate.

Green turtles love the eel grass..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom