Cayman Went - the Movie About Cayman Brac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's funny to hear that Brac is some kind of secret. In my town, all the big dive shops run annual (or more frequent) trips to Cayman Brac. Until I started looking into the Caymans as a vacation destination for 2019, I had assumed Brac was just where the diving was in the Caymans. Kind of like Cozumel is where you go to dive in Mexico.

Talk about a wrong impression!

Here is the picture.
View attachment 478337
Green turtle.. they have 2 plates between eyes. Hawksbill has 4. Young green and hawksbill look the same. Only place to really see Greens on Brac is the East end grass flats or around the dock area South west end. I have seen one at Sylvia’s, but the dive operators call anything on the reef Hawksbill. You have to visually ID the plates on young ones to differentiate. Green turtles love the eel grass..

Thanks! The scene with the Green Turtles was filmed on Boatswain's Beach on Grand Cayman.

It's funny to hear that Brac is some kind of secret. In my town, all the big dive shops run annual (or more frequent) trips to Cayman Brac. Until I started looking into the Caymans as a vacation destination for 2019, I had assumed Brac was just where the diving was in the Caymans. Kind of like Cozumel is where you go to dive in Mexico. Talk about a wrong impression!

Local dive shops around my area regularly run trips to Caribbean and other destinations including the Cayman islands. I think that Grand Cayman and Little Cayman are the most popular of the 3 islands. Grand Cayman because it is easier and cheaper to get there, and there are a lot of options for accommodations and diving, and there are a lot of topside attractions if you are traveling with non-divers - and a fabulous beach, too.

Of course Little Cayman is popular because of the Bloody Bay Wall so Cayman Brac is viewed sort of like the "forgotten step-sister of the Cayman islands" although our local dive shops do run trips there periodically. It is cheaper than LC and there are more flights available.

I like all 3 of the Cayman for different reasons, and Brac is a sweet and funky little destination with very good diving, IMO.

There are only 2 dive ops on Brac and one resort, along with some condos and not many places to eat. In some ways it is the forgotten Cayman sister island. I like that about it, but I understand that the local people need a source of revenue; that's why they are planning to make it a tourist stop for smaller cruise ships. I am happy that they have this opportunity but I hope that the island will maintain it's quiet charm - but so far the Brakkers have been doing a good job of taking care of their special little island and of course, it is their decision.

I like that but I understand that the local people need a source of revenue; that's why they are planning to make it a tourist stop for smaller cruise ships. I am happy that they have this opportunity but I hope that the island will maintain it's quiet charm - but so far the Brakkers have been doing a good job of taking care of their special little island and of course, it is their decision.

Jan-Feb we’ll be 20 or more friends, so I can say with certainty that a lot of money will be spent on alcohol that week that should put one Brakker through college:)...I hope they stock up on tequila!

Jan-Feb we’ll be 20 or more friends, so I can say with certainty that a lot of money will be spent on alcohol that week that should put one Brakker through college:)...I hope they stock up on tequila!

I hope that you have great weather, and I hope that we also have great weather when we are on GC and CB in the fall!

@flyboy08 I am surprised to hear that you are going back to the Cayman sister islands because I know that you were disappointed with LCBR and that you really like sandy beaches. There isn't a good swimming beach at CBBR but the pool is spectacular. There are public beaches on Brac but I have not tried them out.

Have you also scheduled some time on Grand Cayman? I understand that this has been a bad year for sargassum weed throughout the Caribbean, with the North and East Ends of GC getting hit hard; hopefully it will clear out soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom