Caymans 1st week of November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mdupont

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings. Wife and I were avid divers before the dreaded children came:D Its been 12 years and after a trip to Hawaii and snorkeling we decided time to get back into scuba. We are both doing the refresher course and are planning a trip to Grand Cayman (under the guise of a scouting trip) the first week in November. The grand plan is to get the 10 year old and 16 year old certified late winter spring and then take them to the Caymans in July. My question is for the November trip we have narrowed it down to Sunset house or Cobalt coast. Don't know which would be better with the prevailing winds at that time frame.

Thanks for any help

Mike

Two different kinds of place.
Cobalt Coast is at the North End of the island, small, quiet, self contained and maybe 10 miles away from the Georgetown activity. Very good dive op ( Dive tech ) and outstanding shore diving if the seas are calm enough.

Sunset is much larger, close to town, has an OK dive op and OK shore diving. There is a great open air bar on site so there is lots of action. Cathy Church School of Underwater Photography is also on site if you are interested in photo or video courses. She is a wonderful teacher and person.

In November, there tends to be a fair amount of wind and waves from the North so the North wall and the CC shore diving is often blown out. Not the end of the world, as they will move their boats to the leeward side and bus you over and back. Also, they have a good shore dive site just south of the Turtle Farm at Lighthouse Point, which is sheltered. I like CC personally so I tend to stay there. If you want some other activities, however, I would opt for Sunset. You cannot go wrong either way.

For July, the winds tend to be lighter, the shore diving at CC is excellent and the Divetech boats will have quick access to the North Wall. Sunset does some North Wall diving but their focus seems to be on the West which is OK but not quites as good diving.

Another option would be to rent a condo on the North end of Seven Mile Beach. Christopher Columbus and Discovery Point are pretty reasonable and rental rates will be lower in July, rent a car as well and do it all. Most of the dive operators will also pick you up in the AM for their boat dives and they will all provide a package price whether you stay there or not. Sunset and CC packages both include unlimited shore diving as I recall. ( I don't think Sunset Divers picks up but I could be wrong on this.

My son and daughter were certified and OW at the Cobalt Coast . Can't say enough good things. Awesome staff and the locations they choose for the kids were fine even during the Christmas winds . I give them a five star rating. Don't know the other operator but am sure they also do a fine job, it's the Caymans. Enjoy your time with them .

If you like the beach then check out the north end of seven mile. If you don't mind the ironshore then either of those places are great. Nov. isn't over run with tourists and so rates should be better.

Sunset House has a really good bar and restaurant. The rooms I've stayed in are marginal. I think they have some nicer (more expensive) rooms but we went cheap.

Well you said scouting trip. I'd have to say sunset house. That cut a good 20 min off a drive the other way. November diving will be more reliable. Just remember to pack your gear when you do your recon of CC. You'll need to do an afternoon dive at turtle reef followed by the sunset off cracked conch restaurant. On your recon to the east end you'll notice how big the island really is and be glad you started from the south side of town. Just be warned, sunset house is not glam, it's a divers hotel at the edge of town under the airport flyway sitting on iron shore. It's the perfect spot to dive from and more central for your "recon".

---------- Post added August 27th, 2013 at 10:19 PM ----------

Wait, isn't first week of November pirates week?

Sunset House is definitely more convenient if you're looking at doing more than diving. Be sure and check out the resorts on the East End (Morritt's and The Reef) while you're out and about. You can find some real bargains on fully equipped units on the Internets.

---------- Post added August 28th, 2013 at 11:47 AM ----------

we loved pirates week last year

It's the second week of November this year.

Pirates Week 2013 Nov 7-17 | www.piratesweekfestival.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom