CCR before or after OW training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keith & Sharon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Dive trip $75.00
Rebreather $5,000.00
Scuba lessons.... PRICELESS!!!:shakehead:

What training or skills should be required before CCR or should students be allowed to jump right in to the CCR world during OW training?

CCR = "closed circuit rebreather"

Keith

Last edited:
I say CCR "after" OW training and not one second before.

Probably a monumental task to teach someone how to use a rebreather when they haven't even hopped in a pool with a mask and fins on.

I actually heard someone being told that an CCR Open Water course may be available soon with no OC experience required beforehand, the same may also apply to sidemount OW too. Just something I overheard a few weekends back at a resort so can't say if it's reliable but I guess in theory it's not out of the question?

I'd assume there will be some form of introduction training within this course before getting to use the CCR stuff though?

After open water for various reasons starting with the changes to bounancy control on an OC bailout.

If ccr was trained first would the student be OW certified as well?

If you didn't watch the video, you missed the point of this post. The video is a clear example of why scuba lessons and basic techniques are required before CCR. I can't imagine seeing more divers with this level of "training". The diver in the video clearly did not have any pool work before strapping on a rebreather for this ocean dive.

This should be a warning to everyone before they hook up with their next insta-buddy. I was taught many types of fin kicks, but the breast stroke while scuba diving wasn't taught in any of my classes.

Youtube video:Some things you see and must share.:popcorn:

Keith

Uh, you can get more people to watch your video is you present it with these codes...

[yt]GhvHTHLg418[/yt]

To get this, which I will also center...

Hope that'll help, maybe on your next vid thread...?

Scary stuff.

However I do respect the diver's ability to use all four limbs rather than the usual two.

Seems to be a very efficient way to move through the water.

/ Sarcasm off

He's not diving a CCR, he's diving a SCR. WORLD of difference. Diving a dolphin-type SCR is not nearly as involved as CCR and most people could do it right after OW.

There is some movement around CCR from the get-go (new Poseidon MkVI for instance) but I still don't get it. It doesn't really get you much in the realm of OW diving but more expense, more maintenance, more complicated logistics, and a few dozen more ways to off yourself.

IMO, CCR is ideal for technical diving. It provides relief around most of the contraints associated w/ OC technical diving and opens up a world of opportunity. But they are still expensive to purchase and maintain and they require a more complex skillset and more dedication to dive them safely. Not worth it to me for basic OW diving.

What battles2a5 said.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom