CCR Cave?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InWay2Deep

Contributor
Reaction score
For someone who has TDI Full Cave on OC and CCR MOD1, what does the CCR Cave class consist of and what's the class called? When I try and lookup standards for a CCR Cave class it seems to start from scratch as if someone had no cave training.

Thanks

For someone who has TDI Full Cave on OC and CCR MOD1, what does the CCR Cave class consist of and what's the class called? When I try and lookup standards for a CCR Cave class it seems to start from scratch as if someone had no cave training.

Thanks

you would have to ask the specific TDI CCR Cave instructors, but a lot of it is remedial training. Unfortunate for the instructors, but good for the divers taking it. It's effectively the same course though as a standard cave class, the gas planning is just a bit different.

Very long thread about it last year that I would recommend you read

you would have to ask the specific TDI CCR Cave instructors, but a lot of it is remedial training. Unfortunate for the instructors, but good for the divers taking it. It's effectively the same course though as a standard cave class, the gas planning is just a bit different.

Very long thread about it last year that I would recommend you read

Thanks so takeaway,

Need a CCR Cave Card for Ginnie, but likely nowhere else on planet earth
There's no 'standard' for a cross over
Every instructor is going to do it different, some fun dive with you, some give you stills to go explore
If you are a bag of ass in the cave you get a full cave class and maybe a full CCR class
Old guys said **** it I'm not taking it
New divers are 50/50 on taking it
All agencies suck

That about sum it up?

Thanks so takeaway,

Every instructor is going to do it different, some fun dive with you, some give you stills to go explore
If you are a bag of ass in the cave you get a full cave class and maybe a full CCR class
All agencies suck

That about sum it up?

there is a "standard", it may not be what you're thinking, but if a card is getting issued then all of the boxes need to be checked off unless there is written exception from the agency.

I wouldn't say bag of ass though, a lot of people that think they're good, particularly with line work, need a lot of fixing. This is particularly problematic in Florida were so few divers are actually running primary reels, and if they are, they are rarely doing it properly because of how short of a run they have in the tourist caves.

there is a "standard", it may not be what you're thinking, but if a card is getting issued then all of the boxes need to be checked off unless there is written exception from the agency.

I guess I was looking for a CCR Cave Crossover class, where someone who is Full Cave + CCR certified can do a 1-2 day class, what are the "standards" for that. Gas management, Bailout planning, etc. What I'm finding is it seems to be a Full Cave Class, just done using a CCR and toss in some gas management overview. My CCR instructor was a cave diver, so when we did CCR MOD 1 gas planning/bailout was done as if it were a cave dive, not open water, even though we were in open water. He was not a CCR Cave Instructor though.

TDI has a CCR cave crossover. I think its a 1 day crossover, possibly 2 days. Or maybe its 3 dives?

Thanks so takeaway,

All agencies suck

That about sum it up?
The CCR cave crossover didn’t hold much new information for me, but only because I was used to diving with my husband in a mixed team for three full years before making the leap myself. So I had a few years of watching and listening to him run through his bailout calculations, try and test bailout mounting hardware, use different tank types and sizes, formulate bailout, bottle drop, and swap procedures, and of course, watched him do bailout drills or SCR drills and listened to him swear through his loop as he ran line in caves with annoying depth changes. So by the time I had accumulated enough hours to do my crossover, the course held no surprises, (although doing a lost line drill on CCR felt VERY different than on OC). It actually felt really nice to revisit familiar cave on the loop - it felt like brand new cave, which I adored, and I felt like a brand new cave diver again (which I adored less!).

As an aside, Ginnie is not the only place that requires CCR divers to show a card - a lot of ops in Mexico’s Riviera Maya has the same requirements, including our place near Akumal. My husband (@oya) is a CCR cave instructor, so feel free to ping him with any queries, if you fancy coming to Mexico for a course.

Thanks so takeaway,

A few of the MX shops won't fill your O2 or sell you sorb without a cave CCR card.

TDI has a CCR cave crossover. I think its a 1 day crossover, possibly 2 days. Or maybe its 3 dives?
1 day?
NSS-CDS is 3 days and 6 dives.

We covered bailout, both volume and configuration. A bunch of tweaking to trim my tanks slightly better (they weren't bad just always room for improvement). And did 8 hours on CCR in a cave with tons of ups and downs in small passages. I'd call it half instruction half supervised practice. I had my one and only complete cell failure on one of those dives (right close to the beginning too). Was it worthwhile? Yes more or less, in the grand scheme of things. It wasn't especially expensive and I got to watch a true master dive Manatee in high flow. He looked effortless, I got my butt kicked trying to match his weaves and dodges.

For the upgrade you're typically looking at about 3 days, 4-5 dives, and 5-6 hours underwater. CCR Cave specific skills include gas planning/range planning, DIL / bailout options, CCR failure modes, and emphasizing some gas extending techniques (SCR mode, etc).

In my experience, the guys that have been able to do it in 2 days came into the class with several hundred OC cave dives and quite a bit of time on their rebreathers and that most people should probably plan on 3 days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom